My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I finally figured out once you get to the gravely forum page and are looking at the list of posts, if there is a thread that you have been posting in, it will have a little eyeball looking thing in the title. So go down the list, any eyeball threads click in them and see what's going on.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Gerrard,

I had the same problem with mine and just made a mark across the fiber block that couples with the mag and the camshaft. Then I loosened the block and moved it a little (and I mean just a little). Of course, you need to know which direction to move it. Like you, I thought mine was perfect, but it was just a smidge ahead. After moving it back that little bit I've not had any kickback trouble whatsoever. Make sure to read the manual on tightening the block back up on the camshaft. It has a specified gap between the mag and the block.

By the way, I actually broke my strap and just used parachute cord with the wooden handle to make a new one. I doubled it and twisted/braided it, tied a knot around the end and made a loop at the handle. The cord between your fingers is much nicer than the edges of that strap!

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Gerrard,

I had the same problem with mine and just made a mark across the fiber block that couples with the mag and the camshaft. Then I loosened the block and moved it a little (and I mean just a little). Of course, you need to know which direction to move it. Like you, I thought mine was perfect, but it was just a smidge ahead. After moving it back that little bit I've not had any kickback trouble whatsoever. Make sure to read the manual on tightening the block back up on the camshaft. It has a specified gap between the mag and the block.

By the way, I actually broke my strap and just used parachute cord with the wooden handle to make a new one. I doubled it and twisted/braided it, tied a knot around the end and made a loop at the handle. The cord between your fingers is much nicer than the edges of that strap!
Heres that Gol Dern ( as Amos McCoy would say on "The Real McCoys lol!) strap.
After 30+ minutes getting that bottom inside ( left) magneto cover screw out I went ahead and stuck the phone-cam down there and snapped a cpl pics of it incase there is anything obvious for someone to see because I know absolutly nothing about them.
I do know the plug isnt sparking w/mag snap from socket. Im posting pics then typing because I think of something, but
the screw and pictures was so hard because no way I was taking the hood off that thing.
Thanks Greg, I'll check that out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
The mag looks fine.

Are you saying you're not getting a spark at all? Even when you turn it slowly by hand (not with a drill) and the impulse coupling snaps? Is the outside of the plug lying on the head or otherwise grounded? Do you have a kill switch that could be stuck on?

It sparked earlier, enough for you to start this thread. What's different now?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The mag looks fine.

Are you saying you're not getting a spark at all? Even when you turn it slowly by hand (not with a drill) and the impulse coupling snaps? Is the outside of the plug lying on the head or otherwise grounded? Do you have a kill switch that could be stuck on?

It sparked earlier, enough for you to start this thread. What's different now?
Hello jrd, lemmie take it one at a time because I think things are getting confused. I never got a spark that I know of, Im just hearing a loud 'snap' when the piston goes TDC.
If you are referring to the back-fire of an affair I thot it was just a compression thing or maybe I wasnt pulling it hard enuf, I have a hernia and cant give it a " full pull" right now and I just tried the drill thing on that clunker I bought a month or so ago just to see what would happen but the little RYOBI 1/2 drill couldnt cut it on a bet. I had just heard guys on here say " I just start mine with a drill" and wanted to see what would happen before trying to start my nice L Model, and it they are starting them w/a drill they have a bigger and better one than I have.
I tried it today and actually held the plug down on the top piece of prolly 24 ga. sheet metal that has the notch in it for the plug, top cooling tin I recon and got nothing while turning pulley nut w/a 1/2" ratchet and a 15/16 socket.
Then I thought about the gap in plug, read the nice info paper that GT's puts in the box when shipping parts to ppl and it said to gap it @ .0033 so I did that and the plug and spark-finger I'll call it was almost closed when I went to check/gap it.
Then I had to leave and go to store for family members that have to stay home, especially the one that is with child.
I'll have to hit it again tomorrow.
I do wanna clean up where the plug wire goes into mag because its not real clean and has a little rust around it and it looked like brass.
Hope you can gather something from all of this. What happened I think was is I tried to start the one I bought a month or so ago and said heck with it I have to get the one Ive been on for 3 summers now for my son ready and things got confused.
Thanks Sir.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Ok. If I'm reading this right, you don't think you got a spark earlier, when you started this thread. And you're not seeing a spark now. This means that all the earlier discussion of ignition timing should be disregarded, or at least put aside, as it's predicated on the idea that you are getting a spark, but at the wrong time.

Don't sweat plug gap. I once had the plug wire come off the plug while the machine was running. It kept right on running, with the mag throwing current across a 3/8" gap from the wire to the top of the plug. As long as you've got some kind of a gap at the business end of the plug, something like .030, you'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure I remember you earlier had this mag working, so it's probably sometime simple. I recommend the following:
1. Disconnect the kill wire at the mag
2. With the plug lying on the head, turn the engine slowly past TDC til the impulse coupling snaps.

See a spark? Great, The problem is in the kill wire, probably just a short.
Didn't see a spark? Proceed with these steps:
1. Turn to TDC, and note where the timing marks on the mag are. This will help get the timing right later.
2. Take the mag off and put it on a bench.
3. Make sure the points are clean. You haven't been running it, so they should be fine, but check anyway. If they're crudded up, you can dress up the contacts with a small file. If they're really bad, replace them.
4. Check the points gap. My memory says .012, but look it up.
5. Button the mag up and try it on the bench. Hook up the wire and plug, put the mag and plug on something steel so they're both grounded, and turn the drive end by hand. Hint: Don't hold the plug. If the mag works, it'll zap you good!
6. If in here it does give you a spark, reinstall, remembering to get the timing marks where they were in step 1.

If you've done all that, and the mag still isn't producing a spark, you'll need to keep digging, probably replace points and condensor. You now have at least one parts machine, correct? Does it have a mag on it? Does that mag work? If you have a spare mag, confirm that it works on the bench, and swap it on. Then go back to the discussion about setting the ignition timing.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We Have Spark !
Well I finally saw it today after working on it for awhile. I went ahead and disconnected the new Handle Bar kill button I put on it, I used new wire-button and fittings so if it mattered ( and could have considering...) I dont know what it coulda been wrong with it. I got it outta the way so it wouldnt touch anything just in case ( see pic ).
I then sanded points or "point" almost couldnt find it and had to turn pulley nut real slow and look for something opening and closing and there it was waay down at the bottom. It was all kinda hard because I wasnt about to take the hood off, no way Ive got rubber grommets and washers on that thing to isolate it as best I could and I wasnt about to remove it. I had to use a mirror to see some stuff on it ( mag )
I found a good thing to sand points with, I used a cpl diff dremell sanding wheels of hi-grit count and it worked good, just got it tween them and moved it right to left and so on, blew it out w/a pretty low setting on compressor ( 30 to 40 lbs.) then cleaned-up brass ftg. where that end of plug wire went into mag and turned the pulley w/rachet real slow and watched very closely the grounded on head and top air deflector sheet metal and saw a spark twice. Not much of a spark but a spark.
Then I had to put everything up and go inside as it was getting dark and I'd already mowed and was about beat but I cant pull start it anyway with my hernia. Couldnt even mess with it yesterday cause had diff crap to do but I need to get my son over here to pull it but his wife to be is very pregnant and they cant take a chance of getting the virus at all but in meantime I gotta get the deck back to functioning status meaning put new blade on it and put entire operating mechanism atop of it and put new grease in it and connect it to tractor. Sounds like fun but then again I like Root Canals also lol.
For such a big plug it puts out a small spark.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts