My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Deceased
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planted a small garden this year, first one in 30 years! I've planted some white onions and if I remember right, at a certain time you're supposed to bend the tops over so the onions will get big and all the growth will not go to the stalk. Is this right? If so, when do I do this? Any help would be appreciated.:thanku:

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I planted a small garden this year, first one in 30 years! I've planted some white onions and if I remember right, at a certain time you're supposed to bend the tops over so the onions will get big and all the growth will not go to the stalk. Is this right? If so, when do I do this? Any help would be appreciated.:thanku:
I need to know the answer to that too

·
Registered
643 Posts
The secret to growing big onions is to plant the seedlings very shallow. If you plant them too deep, all you will get is tops.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I went to the internet and found this statement which I think best fits onion planting to grow big onions:

Plant seedlings 4" apart and just deeply enough to catch in the soil. When mature, they'll appear to sit on top of the soil.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
With the heat we had this year my onions did not do well. They burnt up before they were fully mature. Same thing with the tomatoes. I could not put enough water on them to prevent it. Oh well better luck next year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
With the heat we had this year my onions did not do well. They burnt up before they were fully mature. Same thing with the tomatoes. I could not put enough water on them to prevent it. Oh well better luck next year.
We are currently having some of that heat. Been around 80* in the mornings at 6:00am

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another of my 2¢ (I'm up to 6¢ today!):

Altho' I plant my onions from seed (not starter plants), I leave them in the ground until the stems brown off *and* fall over. If they're still standing, they're still pulling energy down into the onion bulb.

If I were to bend the stems over myself, I'm interfering in nature's "onion plan"!

By the way, if the bulbs are popping out of the ground before the stems brown and bend over, kick some dirt over them so they're not fully "exposed."

Tom

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do not bend the tops over yourself. Wait until they fall over. Bending the tops over yourself will cause all growth to stop.

A few pics of last years onions...I know the date on my camera is wrong...LOL:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Drink beer while gardening?? Uh..ummm no....no, I uh...awe heck, you caught me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Monty...Nice crop....I know the beer can is just for reference....You don't really drink while gardening,do you?.....LOL...:sidelaugh
AWW, SHUCKS!!!! For a minute there, I thought he'd found a way to grow it, & I was gonna ask for some seeds!! :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
No need to bend the tops over as has been said. BUT, if seed-heads grow on the tips of the green, then pinch them off just below them. Only about 10% of mine developed the heads, so pinched them off & all my onions were about 4" across.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Onions can be tricky to grow. They will go to seed on the second year. That is where it is tricky.

If you plant them in the spring when it is cool but not terribly cold as usual and the weather stayed the same gradually getting more daylight and warming then it would be perfect. But after you plant and go threw a warm spell and then it goes threw a cold spell then they are fooled into thinking it is the second year and will put up the seed heads. When they do that all the energy is put into the seed head and not the bulb.

Do not bend the tops over,Period. that will stop all bulb growth and will start the hardening off process.

Onions need the top growth to put the energy into the bulb.the bigger the top before bulb formation the better chance you have for larger bulbs. Also there are short,long, and day neutral onions. You need to plant the one recommended for your area.(zone).

Plants need to be smaller then a pencil before planting. onion sets are usually a long day variety and will not make a bulb very big in southern states.

i'm no expert at growing onions but thought i'd share what i have researched.

·
Registered
660 Posts

If you do not freeze you can plant tomatos, onions and pole beans and peas very early. They all do well in cooler weather. When it gets over 95 degrees the omatos may have blosems but they will not set in the heat. Here in California we can get a freeze but by 10 am it is all melted and warmed up to the point that things grow well. I am in a funny place. It gets too cold and hot to have a beautiful garden all year round. I plant in Feburary and if it gets cold I cover the plants etc. I had enouh tomatos this year to can 100 quarts. My family had plenty and the neighbors had a feast.

Your started your garden to late would be my guess. You can put straw around the plants and cover them with bushel baskets if you have a cold snap. I soak the ground every day here and it is still bone dry a few inches down. We have had several years of no rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts