My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys did such a wonderful job pairing me up with a 160 (again, what a great tractor....seller had to pretty much pull me off of it from mowing his yard) that I figured I'd push my luck a little. I already want another JD; something that I can use with my cyclone rake as well as do some heavier pulling. I know everyone recommends a 318 with its fabulous Onan, but I'm not sure I need everything the 318 offers such as hydraulics (I'll never use them). Is there a less feature rich alternative? All I would really need is a mower deck and a good, strong tranny/engine. Sorry to keep asking these questions, but I figure I'd go straight to the experts. Plus I find it's easier to stalk CL and eBay when I know what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm guessing I should still be looking for something in the 300 series? An Onan would be nice too, but I guess a Kohler would do. ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You just THINK that you will never use the hydraulics........once you start using a tractor that has the hydraulic ports, you will think of all kinds of different things that you COULD be using them for.................Dont rule them out just because you think that you will never use them.

·
Too young to act this old
1,034 Posts
My suggestion for you would be too look into the 100 or 200 series tractors. 110, 112, 200, 208, 210, 212, 214, 216 Gear drive. Attachments can still be had. Transmissions and engines are tough and long lasting. Maitainence is easy. Plus they won't break the bank unless you want them to.

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My suggestion for you would be too look into the 100 or 200 series tractors. 110, 112, 200, 208, 210, 212, 214, 216 Gear drive. Attachments can still be had. Transmissions and engines are tough and long lasting. Maitainence is easy. Plus they won't break the bank unless you want them to.
I actually just bought a 160 for strictly mowing. That's what led me to want another; I'll have to split my love between my Sears and JD's now. I'd like something a little heavier duty than the 160 so I figured I'd shop around for a garden tractor as well. I took a look at a 210, but I'm not sure the 10 horse Kohler will be enough to drag my CR up my hills. I'm thinking maybe a 316 as I go back and search older posts. It also seems they can be had around me for in the neighborhood of 800 to 900 bucks. My wife is on board with it too so I'd like to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. (Anyone got a 316 they wanna sell? ;) )

·
1,034 Posts
The 100 and 200 series that I am talking about are the same engines/style as the older 300 series. 300, 312, 314, 316k, and 317. They are just gear driven. A 110 or 210 weigh in the neighborhood of 500 pounds for the 110 and close to 750 pounds on the 200 series. That was dependent on the what year it was. If you would be happier with the hydrostatic drive, by all means go after it. I thought you were looking to spend half the money that you suggested. It is all about weight and traction more than power if you are pulling a heavy load. Unless you want to do it in record time.

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 100 and 200 series that I am talking about are the same engines/style as the older 300 series. 300, 312, 314, 316k, and 317. They are just gear driven. A 110 or 210 weigh in the neighborhood of 500 pounds for the 110 and close to 750 pounds on the 200 series. That was dependent on the what year it was. If you would be happier with the hydrostatic drive, by all means go after it. I thought you were looking to spend half the money that you suggested. It is all about weight and traction more than power if you are pulling a heavy load. Unless you want to do it in record time.
Ahh I gotcha. Still learning the model numbers. Hydro isn't that huge a deal to me; I have hills but not really any obstacles.

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
A ten horse gear drive is more than enough to pull your rake. I have a jd 300, and I had a 112. The 112, being gear drive had lower gears and a higher top speed than my 300. I'd recommend either.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
try a 345/345gx

lots of power, power steering and power lift (real nice to have)

lots of power and reliable and you can get them for a pretty good price!

and a hydro tranny would be a big deal if you had one, can you live without it?? sure, but why :)

I could never buy a car again with out, heated seats, heated steering wheel, autostart, heated mirrors, etc. do you need any of them to drive, NOPE, but hey life is short (real Fing short!) ENJOY iT! :)

·
Citizen of Earth
15,298 Posts
You should be able to find a solid 212, 214 or 216 for around $500 with a 48" mower deck. As mentioned above, these are gear driven, but have a feature called varidrive, that allows you to speed up and slow down in each gear without changing your throttle setting. These are rock solid machines and attachments are about half the price of the 300 series attachments. And should you decide you want a tiller, the 200 series tiller can be found for $250 ready to go. Expect to pay over $400 for a tiller for the 300 series, and another $450 for the rear PTO to drive the tiller.

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should be able to find a solid 212, 214 or 216 for around $500 with a 48" mower deck. As mentioned above, these are gear driven, but have a feature called varidrive, that allows you to speed up and slow down in each gear without changing your throttle setting. These are rock solid machines and attachments are about half the price of the 300 series attachments. And should you decide you want a tiller, the 200 series tiller can be found for $250 ready to go. Expect to pay over $400 for a tiller for the 300 series, and another $450 for the rear PTO to drive the tiller.
Thanks. It looks like there are no shortage of 200 series around either. In fact, the closest one to me now is in Bethlehem, PA (probably near you).

Quick final question: How does the varidrive let you change speed when it's gear driven? Clutch pressure or so something like that?

·
1,034 Posts
The varidrive is kind of like a centrifical clutch on a snowmobile. It is all one pulley with movable sheave in the middle. There is a belt from the engine to that pulley. (primary) Then there is a belt from that pulley to the transaxle. There is a lever on the right side of the tractor that you can move forward or backward. When moved, it adds or removes tension from the primay belt allowing the belts to ride high or low in the varidrive pulley. Both belts will be in opposite positions in that pulley.

Attachments

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neat. Thanks. I'm going to look at a couple 200 series right in the same area of each other on Saturday. I'll be sure to post my results. :)

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
Neat. Thanks. I'm going to look at a couple 200 series right in the same area of each other on Saturday. I'll be sure to post my results. :)
Posting results alone wont cut it, :wwp::wwp::wwp:

·
Super Moderator
33,583 Posts
I would say a 216 would give you plenty of power, you might get lucky and find one with the hydraulic lift (not the same sort of hydraulics on the 3xx series as they have no ports available). You won't be disappointed with pulling or mowing power!

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Posting results alone wont cut it, :wwp::wwp::wwp:
Oh yes, I was planning on it.

If the 210 I'm looking at is in good shape and I can get it for a decent price, I think I'll pull the trigger on it on Saturday; has a double-bin bagger as well, so I can always use it as the back-up to my back-up for mowing. Worst comes to worst, and I need something with more power, I'll just have to buy another tractor, I guess. :hide:

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picked her up today due to the calling for snow tomorrow. Mechanically sound and everything seems to work as it should (as far as I can tell for now). Came with a very, very nice mower deck in great shape, two bin bagger (the chute is removed in the picture and I bungied the deck deflector to get it in the van), wheel weights, chains, and a plow blade. Normal wear and tear; missing the parking brake knob and needs a little tuning. Doesn't seem to be burning oil, but the side near the muffler is pretty black. Running rich, maybe? Not a bad haul for $500 if I do say so myself. So, here's my 1984 210:

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

What am I missing in the above photo? Some sort of cover plate?

There you have it. She needs a wash BADLY. I'll hose her off tomorrow and shine her up a bit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts