My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally added a Snowco trailer to my "transportation fleet"!:bannana: :bannana: I've been looking for one (to go with my JD L&G collection) for several years now. I watched KC & DM CL regularly with no luck, then one rainy day last week I expanded my search out of curiosity. Found this 4' X 8' on the Waterloo, IA, CL. New wiring, lights, & tires, just a horrible repaint job! I sent a message back that it looked good & price was OK, but just too far away (4-1/2 hours). Got a response that they would be coming within 100 mi. last Sat.

Well things worked out:

Attachments

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Nice looking little trailer! Perfect for hauling a GT around!

Congratulations on the find!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great looking trailer! There still are a lot of people out there willing to work with others if given the chance.

Glad you got what you were looking for.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Turned out the sellers had an event that day, so they just brought it with them. They had owned it about 10 yrs., don't know if they were responsible for the white paint or not. It has been sprayed over the original (Pearl Gray & Foam Green) without proper prep., so the white is peeling badly, washed some off with the pressure washer yesterday. I'll have to sandblast at least part of it.

I've got the hitch changed to match mine & a combination stand, spare tire carrier & winch stand done. The rest of the cleanup & paint, front rock shield & removeable sides will have to wait a while! ~~ grnspot110

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished up the refurb, cleaned all the old white paint off that I could with stripper & pressure washer. Then wire brushed & sanded what was left. Dismantled it, fresh paint job, new moon hub caps from DEPCO Parts:

Attachments

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
That little trailer looks great. Fine job.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Fender decals came today, I'll get them on as soon as possible. It goes to the next show in 3-4 weeks. ~~ grnspot110

·
16,490 Posts
Nice job!! Very clean restore!!:trink40:

Was that front shield something you fabed up--and where did you get the metal bent, if not..also--is that the original paint scheme??

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glenn, thanks!

I had a local machine shop make the shield to my specs. Some of the Snowco's had a short shield, probably 6-8", but I wanted more protection.

The paint is close, I used Rustoleum Seafoam Green on the fenders, nearly exact match. The rest, however should be Pearl Gray (slight greenish tint), I used Rustoleum Smoke Gray. Went with off-the-shelf, so it can be touched up with spray cans as needed. ~~ grnspot110

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Thanks guys! Fender decals came today, I'll get them on as soon as possible. It goes to the next show in 3-4 weeks. ~~ grnspot110
Grnspot, I know this is an old thread, but wanted to ask where you found the decals mentioned above? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grnspot, I know this is an old thread, but wanted to ask where you found the decals mentioned above? Thanks!
I was able to salvage one of the old ones & sent it to a decal maker in Ottumwa, IA. Sorry, don't have his name anymore. ~~ grnspot

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Here's a photo of the reprint, size is 3-1/2" x 4-7/8". There is one on the bottom rear of each fender on my 1980 model trailer. ~~ grnspot

Many thanks! Cheers.:thThumbsU

1 - 16 of 16 Posts