My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some might say I am an odd bird......some night say I am nuts.....some might say I am certafiably insane.......and then there's you guys that will think this is awesome.................

Well, first off, this isn't really a tractor build.......but it is Homemade, so I thought this would be a good spot.....

Ok.....what I am building is a Mini T Bucket roadster.....hehehe.....it will be based off this sort of style.......

But will be a front engine go cart......and not just any engine either.......its gonna be a 75cc dirtbike engine with a 5 speed trans........

So, here's the donor dirtbike....engine runs great, but the rims and tires are shot......IF I could get parts for it, (local honda dealership said its too old to get parts for.....its a 79...) the wheels and tires would cost in excess of $300......so, if the engine is strong, why not use it for a project????

I started the teardown yesterday.......

Seems to be a fairly simple engine to run.......all it needs is power to the coil (from the internal alternator) and a swift kick of the kick start....hadn't ran for 5 years and started on the third kick....gotta love a honda.....

And a bit of a mock up of where the engine will sit ....gotta figure out something different for the exhaust though...it runs right down your leg right now........

Also, the rear end will be running something with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern....ordered my hubs last night off ebay....hope no one had their eyes on these.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320557116901

So, that's where I sit right now.....if anyone has any 12x8.5-10.5 rims for a 5 on 4.5 with turf tires for cheap, I would love to have em.....especially if I can pick em up near chicago........

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Make for a fun rig from what you have so far. I suppose you are going to be running a live axle and disk brake system.

How are you going to reverse the axle rotation now that the engine is pointed to the rear?

Mike

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine is currently oriented the same as it was on the bike, so the output spins the proper way already. Maybe you didn't see the part where I said it was a front engine setup? Front engine, but RWD.........

And yes, the cart frame has a differential axle and disc brake on it already..........

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
AWESOME concept! Are you going to use a steel or plastic wheelbarrow tub? With that powerful an engine, I'd be sure to add a rollbar like the old front engine rail dragsters. I'd also suggest maybe forming some sort of sheetmetal tunnel to run down the centerline and cover both the chain and the exhaust pipe. Run an extension exhaust pipe the length of the chassis and mount the existing exhaust pipe slanting upward behind the tub.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
How are you going to get power from the engine to the wheels? A chain would be awful long IMO, I wouldn't want a spinning chain 6" from my jewels either.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning on running a tunnel for the chain, but had not thought of running the exhaust under it til now!!!! Thanks for the idea!!!!!

About the rollcage......if I did the rollcage, I would have to install a seatbelt as well.......and since this is a total budget build, I am rrying to limit my costs.......and it will be for my use only....I have close to 15 yrs experience on 40+mph carts...and have never had any issues.......

·
Dabbler in rust
38 Posts
Just be sure to keep the chin strap done up tight, wouldn't want to land on that helmet either! Looking forward to an update, awsome idea

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, that is not me or my helmet...that pic is the one I saw that got this idea into my head.........from day one I have used DOT/SNELL/SFI approved full face motorcycle/race helmets.....

And the drive chain is going to be a series of short chains and mid shafts.....I can't run a 8 ft chain on this, as that would be constantly flipping off, especially at 40mph...that's the point where chains started flipping on my last cart........

So..... it will be a short chain from engine to the forward midshaft on the undercarriage, a chain run back to behind the bucket to the rear mid shaft, and from there up to the axle.....depending on how it works out, I may run a few idlers to keep the chains tight and centered on the sprockets. There has been quite a bit of thought going into making the drive line not only dependable, but safe too.... the tunnel I am going to make is going to be made from a nice sheet of diamond plate aluminum....and I may make an undercarriage plate out of t6065 aluminum 1/2" plate as well for added security for the "jewels" I figure that 1/2" 6065 should stop a #41 chain fairly well......

I am still trying to figure out the fuel delivery aspect......I would like to use the tank from the bike, but it was a gravity fed system...and I don't want this getting too high, so as to still be able to see over the engine........

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh...and about the engine power......this engine is about the same (a bit smaller) displacement as a good old Kohler K330.....the 330 is 33.6Cubic inches, and the 75cc honda is 29.5 cubic inches.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
bogieboy, sweet rig keep up the pics. Once upon a time I made a barstool racer with a briggs 5hp, that puppy will fly with that setup you have.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops....thank you!!!!! I did forget the cubed part of the translation...........LOL that would be a 4.5 c.i. Engine....thankyou for correcting me on that!!!!

So, the Correct engine size comparison is a Lawnboy C10, 12 or 20........

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops...and I just noticed that there was a question as to weather I will use a steel or plastic bucket.........

The answer is definately steel.........I wouldn't want to trust a plastic tub at 50mph....

Aaaaaannnnnnd.....to make it more comfortable, the part where your legs go out of the bucket is going to be cut and bent down flat....and I will trim the edge of the bucket whth that black plastic trim that snaps on to thin substances........

Also, the "interior" will be done in true rat rod trim......aka an indian blanket over some eggcrate foam......

But it will be a "finished edge" it will be so cool!!!!!

Think apholsery made from indian blanket material......

·
Tractor Builder
160 Posts
Love the concept! Can't wait to see the final product and you I have added yet another thing on my "things to build list".

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I did miss the "front engine" part of that post. Thought you had found a simple way to make a reversing setup and was interested.

Going to be a fun ride, how about a picture series as you build?

Mike

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love the concept! Can't wait to see the final product and you I have added yet another thing on my "things to build list".
Hahaha.....I just happened upon that soapbox car pic on photobucket last saturday.......I saw it and thought, that would be totally awesome if it had an engine!!!!!!

So I tought about it, and I thought it looked like a t bucket, so I went with an exposed front engine idea......then I was wondering what engine to use ( I was thinking a honda knockoff from harbor freight....my other cart has one of those knock offs on it) then it dawned on me that it would be awesome to have a gearbox too......so my old dirtbike immediately popped into my head........engine, and a 5 speed gearbox!!!!!!!

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did miss the "front engine" part of that post. Thought you had found a simple way to make a reversing setup and was interested.

Going to be a fun ride, how about a picture series as you build?

Mike
Mike, yes......there will be plenty of pics of the build!!!!

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,816 Posts
I like your idea on the multiple chain drive setup.
It certainly will function better, and be a lot safer than one long chain.
Good thinking there.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I must be thinking good!!!!! The Uber Tractor Builder likes my idea!!!!!!LOL

Well, I have had chains fail, and when they do, they tend to find a way to flail........I thought this way, there's not as much chance for rider injury......if one 8 ft long chain broke, that could kill someone!!!!!!!!this breaks it down to safer lengths.......

1 - 20 of 269 Posts