My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some info on doing a swap from the Onan to Kohler, I got a good deal on a 14 hp today and would like to use it on a parts tractor I have. I need to know the location of the motor from the front of the chassis and if I need to or should use the motor mounts, It's going in a 71 446. Also if someone could take some picture,s of both sides of there tractor with a kohler in it that would be a big help. I did get the motor running in the back of my truck, runs nice, no smoke. Next is to put together a parts list.

Thank,s

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Is the Kohler engine a Case/Ingersoll spec. or from something differant ? Do you intend to use the front PTO clutch and a Kohler oil pump mount bracket ?

:fing20:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
This can be done, but won't be easy.

The 446/448 frame is notched lower to accomadate a higher engine than the Kohler, the Kohler also used rubber engine mounts with a bracket. Your better off finding a 444 frame or even a 200 - 214 series frame then it would be a direct bolt in.
However, RMC makes another good point - your Kohler must have the correct oil pan on it (if you do not have the correct oil pan the block will not work) and you may have to cut the crank and also use a pump bracket designed for the Kohler engine.

Finding a 444 parts donor tractor is you easiest bet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This motor came out of a cub cadet. My plan was to make a list of parts and start searching. I know the crank is the right size for the love joy, I don't have the housing yet to check the bolt pattern on that, also the bolt pattern for the clutch looks the same. I do know the bolt pattern for the oil pan is shorter in length but same width as the onan. I can check today the hight from center of crank to frame for the hight. If someone could measure their oil pan hight that would be great, photo,s are a big help too! I really don't want to get another donor if I don't have to, the hole reason is to bring the parts tractor I have back to life and pass it on, finding good usable onan's at a reasonable price is very difficult and I'm in the middle of rebuilding my second Onan in as many months and I'm all set with a third! Thank,s for the replies, I'll need all the help I can get.

·
Super Moderator
31,894 Posts
Well if you have no use for the belt drive PTO its not that bad. Just need a pump bracket, and a lovejoy that will fit. You can always make a mounting plate to attach the enigne.. Now if you plan to use a belt drive attachment... ie a mower, or snowblower... I would pass on it myself. I dont belive the onan PTO shaft, and clutch will fit the Kohler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do plan on using the pto clutch for Kholer, there,s two on ebay now. I did some checking this morning and I will have to come up with a mount that will raise the motor. If the oil pan is taller on the Case that may help, from the pics I've seen it's tuff to tell if it's any taller.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
These are the two basic type of pan's that I know of:

The top one is the one you want if your engine has the lower one it won't work, unless your going for bolting the engine right to the frame?

If so you need to understand that the Onan 2 cyl has far greater balance than the Kohler single and thats why they got away with bolting it to the frame.

If you go to ingersolltractors.com and look up any 444 parts book you can see how they did it with rubber motor mounts.

If your going to just bolt it to the frame you will get a lot of vibration as the original 100 series did and I don't think you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for those pics Caseman2!
I will need a oil pan and crank! I was wrong on the love joy, it doesn't fit. Thats the bad news, the good news is I did some digging and found a crank, oil pan, chassis, air breather, motor mounts,hydro housing and header pipe for $150 bucks, at that price it's not worth pulling out the welder. I already striped the motor down and pulled the crank, and for the cost of Kohler parts I might as well rebuild it! It has a STD piston in it but the cylinder is worn so while it's at the machine shop I'll do the chassis swap. I'm sure I will run into more problems but it's a good start! I would still like to see some pics of a motor is the tractor if any of you have some. Thank,s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts