My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Case 446 with a blow by issue. I was only going to use the pto, 3pt hitch and tires the decide what to do about the motor. Any way I decided to go ahead and rebuild it. I got the motor out disassembled it and was surprised at what I found! I'm wondering if any one has seen any thing like this before. It looks like the piston was repaired and put back in. The std pistons and rods look new to me.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
are the cyls out of round.never seen a fix like that.but than again shoundn,t be supprised by anything anymore.heard a women say today.she thought there were 35 states in the united states.wonder where shes been.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monday it's going to Simplex engines to get checked out and bored to 3 -1/4".
They just did the machine work a B48 for me, that one runs great now. I just hope everything else is fine! I have never seem a piston repaired before, it looks like they welded both skirts back on.

I wonder how many of those states she can name??

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's 52 States,you forgot Alaska and Hawaii :thThumbsU

Those look like new connecting rods(not the originals).....and it would appear someone fixed the piston skirt ,quick fix,then sell it !

Jim

·
Registered
596 Posts
I cracked a piston skirt in a 327 Chevy, in my young & stupid days. Wrist pins were fit for an older person's style of driving & I was into 6,000 rpm shifts. It REALLY made me nervous driving back to Texas from Michigan, where I cracked it. Never seen one 'patched' either. Now old & stupid!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Monday it's going to Simplex engines to get checked out and bored to 3 -1/4".
They just did the machine work a B48 for me, that one runs great now. I just hope everything else is fine! I have never seem a piston repaired before, it looks like they welded both skirts back on.

I wonder how many of those states she can name??
Simplex Engines, now there is a name I know:trink39:

That piston certainly is weird, looks like somebody brazed it.

Where are you located in Rhode Island?

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
old bones.
are you sure you do not have a 3 1/4 bore already? ( BF 3 1/8)
as someone stated earlier, you have the newest rods,
but i will add you have the oldest pistons.

if your engine tag says BF/MS you may actually have a B 43 or B 48 M.
the last two engines that i got were badged BF on the cowl tag.
BUT one was B43M the other B 48M.

look at the rear of the block, below the points box, #1 cyl.
if you see a 110-xxxx this means the short block was replaced w/ a brand NEW factory short block.

any questions or parts needs E/ mail or call 651 437 2826.
thank you boomer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lead Head I'm located in Woonsocket and Steve has done a couple of jobs for me in the past, most recently the B48. They are very good at what they do!

Boomers Influence I will check the tags tomorrow but I can say that the old pistons from my B48 are larger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's another pic, I just cant figure it out! Did they rebuild it and it blew up, then just pick up the pieces out of the oil pan and weld them back on? Very creative!! BTW the bores look, a little wear on the thrust side of the pistons but not too bad. It just bugs me not knowing what happened! Maybe the boys at Simplex can figure it out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
to me, that looks A LOT like JB Weld...

·
Registered
596 Posts
The wrist pins fit too tightly will cause both the busted slugs & the abnormal scuffing of the bores as well. I have been told that installing the pistons in a reversed direction (ancient hot hod practice) will also have a similar effect. Piston pin location is offset in pistons & when installed per the factory, the offset reduces piston 'slap', but it does create a bit more drag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
H-D, I don't think there is a direction on the Onan piston but I will look into it just to be safe! Piston slap could be the cause, it's at the machine shop now and I told them to check every thing. If the bore is worn out and you just hone it and put new pistons in, its gonna slap! Thats what I think happened, I'll know for sure in a day or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts