My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched for some info, nothing came up.

I'm replacing the intake manifold gaskets on my P220 on a stump grinder. I looked in the manuals for insight and though they didn't recommend any gasket seal, should I apply some for good measure when replacing the gaskets with new or is it of no use?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would use a very light coating of gasket sealer. Won’t hurt, but if you were to have an air leak on any motor, you’re almost guaranteed a starting (or no start) problem, or possibly a terribly lean running engine, that ran hard enough would cook the engine. Experience is, at sometimes a very hard and/or expensive teacher. I personally have too many bumps on my hard head that I always go for good insurance, especially when it’s so cheap as in this instance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking, couldn't hurt, but wasn't sure if I would or not.

thanks!:trink39:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Using a small smear of sealant couldn't hurt anywhere on these old workhorses. I'd make it the "red" automotive sealant though, as it's much better for holding up to heat/oil/gas. It's what I use on my ONAN/B&S/Tecumseh engines when repairing them.

Only thing that's (required) from what I've encountered about the ONAN engines is the split intake manifold needing a special sealant to rejoin the upper/lower halves back together, if they've been split apart or there's an intake air leak in manifold split seam. I know my ONAN engine manual speaks of it. I'm sure with the quality advancements of sealants nowadays that guys have tried them and they worked just as well.

Del

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far s I can tell so far, the only leak I assume was where the manifold meets the engine head. I'll go from there and see what happens.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the gaskets and seemingly all went well. I started the motor and it still revs up and down, doesn't idle at one constant rpm. I only replaced the intake manifold gaskets. I didn't replace the gasket between the manifold and the carburetor. It looked perfectly fine.
Is there something else that may be causing the up and down or the rpm?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Engine speeds going up/down are usually a governor problem. I’d pop the sheet metal off and make sure there were no cobwebs, pieces of grass - - - whatever and remove any found. Also, inspect any/all springs attached anywhere to the governor and make sure they don’t rub on anything anywhere. And lastly, any dust caked oil deposits are removed AND the air Vane that actuates the governor is totally free from anything that would cause friction on the Vane pivot point. Hopefully you didn’t loan the grinder to a friend ? who may have abused it ? and bent the linkage or damaged a spring ? and not mentioned it ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
697 Posts
If the engine rpm goes up and down at lower speeds, but smooths out at higher speeds, that could be a problem in the idle circuit of the carb. They are not that heard to clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts