My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the con rods 170-4447. New part number.
I have just received a set of new ones for my P218g .
question? These new rods do not have an oil hole to shoot oil up to the cam shaft? Or do they have a grove in the crank big end for oil? My origanal rods do.
I now realize the oil hole doesn’t really shoot at the cam shaft, but rather at the piston skirt.
So with these new ConRods with no oil to shoot at the piston I’m debating if that’s essential.Is there enough splash oil?
Do other engines in same family have simulair con rods with no oil oil? If so then I guess it shouldn’t affect lubrication and cooling of the pistons.
And may even help the oil burning of this type of engine.
Craig

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi . A picture is worth a thousand words.
I am talking about the smaller drilled hole which comes from the crank bearing groove.
I believe it’s purpose is to lubricate and cool the piston.
As seen in the original con rod.
Onan Parts ,com did sell me this new set of Rods.
I am sure they know what they are doing.
But it just is so different from my original ones , that have the drilled hole, that I am a little concerned.
Just would like to know if any one else has used these rods with no problems.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and forgot to mention .
I did buy 2 rods as they can’t be mixed with one old one.
my picture didn’t show that.
Just showing one of each for comparison
thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you still have the old rod bearings? Does the upper half have a hole in it? Just looking at the old rod, it seems like that little hole and the space inside the rod would let oil get to the backside of the bearing. There is not much use for that since the bearing can't turn - so it only makes sense to me if there is also a small hole somewhere in the bearing to allow that oil to reach the inside of the bearing and the crank.

That still doesn't answer your question though - in the end, Boomer / Onanparts.com is the expert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi CantKeepUp, No this set up doesn’t have bearing shells. The bearing surface is part of con rod itself.
And the oil channel inside the rod feeds oil to the little squirt hole that sprays oil out to the piston squirt.
That’s my biggest concern is not having the squirt hole in the new rod.
Will the missing squirt hole make the pistons overheat and seize?
So I am wondering if these p218g or b43 type of engines have gone thru many transformations and eliminated the piston squirt hole and then had no ill effect.
so wondering how many have changed from old style of rod to new style without problems.
Thanks
Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts