My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my SS16 has been having issue with pumping fuel up to the carb with a filter right at the carb- Maybe just needs a rebuild, but diaphragm looked good, and everything, so i figured it was probably having trouble pushing fuel uphill through the filter. I had been talking to Hugh and we both had the idea of putting the filter under the tractor, right after the tank so gravity will fill the filter, and the pump just has to pump gas through the line after it's filtered. I figure using a bigger filter, even in half the filter is clogged, it will still have a reservoir of gas in it and it will still filter fine. This may prevent crud from clogging the lines. I had issues draining the line, so i blew compressed air through it and it 'popped' and something went flying out. I had not previously changed the line, so i dunno if the original rubber line had started to degrade, and it clogged itself? so i changed the back of the line too.

Here are some pics of where i mounted it- right above the brake drum, and about 6" from the tank. So far it worked good. I primed the carb, and it ran fine all afternoon.
0829101500.jpg

0829101500a.jpg

0829101501.jpg

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
looks good! i bet a smaller volume one would work even better

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
james, i think i will try that today with my fuel filter

·
15,000 +posts!
20,543 Posts
The problem I see with that,is the fuel pump will be sucking fuel thru it instead of pushing it under pressure....how many inches of vacuum the diaphram pump can pull will determine if this will work or not..

I like the old fashioned galss bowl fuel filter/shutoffs,(except when the glass cracks in the middle of a storm in winter and you dont have any spares!)..they are cheap and will let water settle at the bottom of the glass bowl instead of letting it get in the carb,and they use a ultra fine brass screen as a filter that wont restrict the flow of fuel on gravity feed engines...I have salvaged many of those glass bowl filters off old engines and I've found a few that a shot glass fits perfect on,those are my favorites!..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem I see with that,is the fuel pump will be sucking fuel thru it instead of pushing it under pressure....how many inches of vacuum the diaphram pump can pull will determine if this will work or not..

I like the old fashioned galss bowl fuel filter/shutoffs,(except when the glass cracks in the middle of a storm in winter and you dont have any spares!)..they are cheap and will let water settle at the bottom of the glass bowl instead of letting it get in the carb,and they use a ultra fine brass screen as a filter that wont restrict the flow of fuel on gravity feed engines...I have salvaged many of those glass bowl filters off old engines and I've found a few that a shot glass fits perfect on,those are my favorites!..
The pump is on the carb- it pulls through it no matter if the filter is at the motor or at the tank- the thing i was trying to accomplish here was to have the filter gravity feed and have the gas not have to pump uphill and through the filter right at the motor.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
james, i put my tank in and installed a filter under the shifter. im gonna try it out soon

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
and im using a red briggs screen filter, not the paper one that you have, which looks really dirty (?)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah mine was kinda dirty.. I have a briggs one too, i am gonna put that one on my GT18 i think.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i hope the screen will cause less fuel resistance than the paper

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
thanks for the link small fry!