My Tractor Forum banner

361 - 372 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Something that’s been bugging me: Why is the seal that is outside the transmission called the “inner seal,” and likewise why is the “outer seal” inside the transmission?

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
Well, I like most of it—up until the last phrase....”at least for now.”
All solutions are temporary. Eventually any mechanical device will fail.

I say run it. If you end up with a persistent oil leak, you can decide what to do then. You may well get 10-20 years out of it. Maybe then it will be somebody else's problem and we and restart this conversation with them.

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
Something that’s been bugging me: Why is the seal that is outside the transmission called the “inner seal,” and likewise why is the “outer seal” inside the transmission?
That's just gravely's idiosyncratic ways. The small seal (which is inside the hub) is called the inner seal. Even though it's outside the transmission. The big seal (which is in the trans case, outside the hub) is called the outer seal. Even though it's pretty much inside the transmission. Go figure :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
These arrived today...

EFA615E4-0A69-40B0-98D7-91E2D9C3C58D.jpeg

is it a problem that I was overly excited when I saw they had gotten here?

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,015 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,791 Posts
Looks like those are handmade... see the difference in the welding technique between the two.

Very nice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Good observation on the welding technique.

These are on eBay for what I thought was a pretty reasonable price via “make offer.”

·
Super Moderator
12,292 Posts
It's good to see that you were still able to get them. It's been thought that they were going NLA. I picked one up at what was supposed to be their end just to have on hand. It's still greased up in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
That was my reason for grabbing a couple of them. Plus, the price was right. I thought the new muffler might quiet the engine a little, but no change. In fact, it seems even louder. That’s probably just my imagination though. And man, does that CCKA exhaust really stink.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Having the Gravely sure is handy. We bought a hot tub that arrived a few weeks ago, and I towed the tub into our backyard on a 4x8 trailer. It wasn’t until I got around to wiring the tub for 220v that I realized the company had sent us the right tub, but the wrong internal parts (not convertible to 220v). Yesterday I pulled the tub out of the backyard, but I wasn’t sure how it would go given the ground is really saturated. The backyard has a decent slope and is completely saturated from the snow/rain we’ve received. I put the Gravely in Low 2 and with tire chains on the rear and plow in front for weight, it crawled up the hill without any issue. The new tub arrived today and the ground was even wetter and softer than yesterday. Down the hill and back up to get the tub into position, the Gravely moved along just fine. I felt the LSD kick in a couple times as it crawled up the hill with minimal effort. Very rewarding. I wonder what else I can find to move!

·
Super Moderator
12,292 Posts
It had to be nice to see firsthand what these machines can do after all the effort you put into rebuilding the engine. These are great machines. Two of my tractors have LSD, so I know how you were able to feel your LSD kick in through the seat. I've had mine kick in when moving snow piles. Just when I think my wheels are about to start spinning, I feel that slight bump, and then I'm still moving.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Exactly. I was watching one of the wheels and was expecting to see it spin, but it never did. Or if it did, it wasn’t visible to me.

361 - 372 of 372 Posts