My Tractor Forum banner

241 - 245 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I spoke with Boomer and he said the crank is too short on the P220. Right diameter, but wrong length.
Yes, I should have thought to mention that. I was thinking of general info about the engine. I believe the only performer engine used on a Gravely was the P224 used on the 24G.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)
There’s a few Onan short blocks out there. Anyway to use one with a 1.5” crank? Can the gear that goes into the transmission be found with a larger inner diameter?

I’ve also seen some with a 1” crank. Any issue using a sleeve to bump up to 1 1/8”?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #243 (Edited)
New development— I recently bought a NOS Onan short block on eBay for a great price. I’ll have to swap out the crankshaft, but Boomer has a NOS crank I can buy. I also found a NOS stator on eBay for cheap, as well as happened upon a seized CCKA in my hometown. The CCKA has the newer bracket I’ve been looking for, and the flywheel and carb are a bonus. The starter too if it works. Of course the crank may or may not be OK.

Things are really busy right now so it’ll be a few weeks before I can do anything, but I’m happy to be making some progress.

2BD2454D-FC2C-431E-A320-022972FFFB15.jpeg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having owed several Onan engines I can tell you its very important to make sure that grass hasn't gotten packed around the cooling shields. While they are a decent engine as engines go they probably require a bit more attention to the possibility or overheating due to poor air circulation. From the picture it looks like the starter gear is in contact with the flywheel.

Hydro lock in an Onan? I've owned the last one in a zero turn for ten years and never experienced it yet. Have replaced the ignition module however. Onans are pretty stout engines and unless you abuse them severely they seem to last. I would drop the starter and see if the flywheel turns. If you do need a rebuild and do it yourself they are a very simple engine to work on and I would surely shop around for parts for the best prices.

I have a variety of manuals on the Onan on CD. Provided I can find them after the across the country move I will check and see if the site has the ability to send files so that others may share.

241 - 245 of 245 Posts