My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My relatively new to me Gravely 816T, which I literally got to use twice, is now sitting in my backyard with a seized engine. Yes, I went through and checked all the fluids, etc, beforehand and the oil level was fine. More details can be found at post #118 here if interested: Should I buy a Gravely 816T?

This 816 has the Onan CCKA engine. I called a shop near me that works on Gravely’s, but they said they don’t mess with the CCKA engine anymore. An ACE hardware near me said they would check it out, but I am skeptical. Is this engine worth a rebuild? Can I even get all the necessary parts?

Please advise. Do I just suck it up that I‘m out the $$ I spent on this, and sell or keep for parts? Or should I try to get the engine rebuilt? Or move on to another one (there’s a 20G with Kohler Magnum about 4 hours away) and hope for a better outcome. Please help.

·
5,852 Posts
That is a big disappointment ..I would pull the heads and see what the cylinders and pistons are like..I hope it turns out to be not so bad

·
Gravely1964
3,974 Posts
Did you pull the plugs back out and see if it turns over again? If so its hydro locked. Which could be fuel issue (carb) leaking threw

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, plugs have been pulled and it’s still stuck. Was wishing for hydro lock, but unfortunately it’s not budging at all.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Shouldn't an 816-T have a B43M? Was the engine swapped at some point?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
The 816 and 816-T were different models. The latter was made one year only, 1978, and had a B43M, 16hp. See the 89 customer service update on gravelymanuals.com for the year breakdown on the 4 wheelers.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Parts are available but expensive.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I didn’t realize that. I was thinking it was a “T” because of the twin cylinder. What was different about the “T” then?

The serial number on the tractor is 15896A, which I am told is a 1973 year model. The engine has the tag as shown in the attached pic.

·
Super Moderator
11,861 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record, but you're certain that the starter gear isn't locked in with the flywheel gear? This has happened to me with the Kohler on the 430 a few times when there was still enough charge left in the battery to engage the starter enough to move the starter gear into the flywheel gear, but not enough to turn it, resulting in the two gears locked together, instead of the starter gear returning back to the starter. I thought that the engine was locked the first time too.

If not, then it's a sad thing. I could be looking at a similar outcome (rebuild) with the '72 816 that I'm trying to bring back to life (Collapsed "Shed Fresh" 816) with the oil spraying breather situation.

·
5,852 Posts
Really can't tell until you get into it...but I agree with tractortag that you investigate a little more before just resigning yourself to rebuild

·
5,852 Posts
From Onan the rebuild kit is 1300 dollars ..plus if you have to bore out cylinders...plus your work...but right now Parts by Onan doesn't seem to have anything available

·
Super Moderator
11,861 Posts
Something appears to be very close to, if not interlocking, or wedged in with the flywheel gear in your first pic. Is the starter's Bendix broken?

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
I didn’t realize that. I was thinking it was a “T” because of the twin cylinder. What was different about the “T” then?

The serial number on the tractor is 15896A, which I am told is a 1973 year model. The engine has the tag as shown in the attached pic.

View attachment 2453062
Again, the 816-T was one year production only, had a B43M 16hp engine, deluxe seat kit, no liftable hitch.

The 816 came with a CCKA 16.5hp engine and a liftable hitch with axle block for the tiller.

You may have an 816-T hood, leading to the confusion. I haven't seen the pics.

To make things more confusing the 817 was one year only, 1977, with no liftable hitch or axle block but otherwise the same as the 816.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From Onan the rebuild kit is 1300 dollars ..plus if you have to bore out cylinders...plus your work...but right now Parts by Onan doesn't seem to have anything available
Well that certainly isn’t cheap, but I did ask for worst case scenario. Makes picking up a 20G for about half that kind of tempting, but then again I don’t want to end up in the same boat I’m in now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again, the 816-T was one year production only, had a B43M 16hp engine, deluxe seat kit, no liftable hitch.

The 816 came with a CCKA 16.5hp engine and a liftable hitch with axle block for the tiller.

You may have an 816-T hood, leading to the confusion. I haven't seen the pics.

To make things more confusing the 817 was one year only, 1977, with no liftable hitch or axle block but otherwise the same as the 816.

The hydraulics on mine do lift the rear hitch, which is a nice feature and sounds like that makes mine an 816 and not 816T. My mistake on thinking it was a T. When I bought it the seller referred to it as that, and I thought it was due to the twin cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
11,861 Posts
I would take a very close look at whatever this is,and see if it's wedged in the flywheel gear. Or better yet, remove the starter, and see if the engine turns then.
starter.png

1 - 20 of 245 Posts