My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the onan rebuild sticky I still cannot get the crank gear off!
No luck even with impact wrench on the puller. Am I missing something?
the snap ring and washer are off. And the grinding center is now damaged flywheel end of the crank rendering a regrind nearly impossible.
soooo. How do I get that “stuck” gear off. Or do I just clean the case best I can with the crank in it?
I need to hone, ring, and replace exhaust guides, seals. Just as soon get the crank out of there!
al

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,460 Posts
Use some heat on the crank gear, that is what most engine shops do. How do I know, I asked the shop that pulled my gear off for me, when I dropped the engine and components off to be cleaned, measured, and after that bored due to cylinder egging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll be making a puller I guess. Good thing I have a machine shop at my disposal. If it goes well I’ll post some pics.
Ok now where is a good place to get parts? I’ve no replies from onan parts. Com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok gear is off. Crank is out, cam is out, outboard cam bearing bad ( probably my doing :( ) shaft end bearing shot. Crank journals have some scratches but round and in spec. Rods should be replaced, standard rings will be ok. Exhaust valve guides have to be replaced ( that’s what resulted in the complete tear down.
My question now is a bf-ms worth the 3-400$ to rebuild it?
Would I be better off looking at the b43 i have that is using oil, and getting short on power. This one also has another issue that popped up last time I mowed with it. I gets hot. Real hot! Hot like is all muffler! So I got something going on there. Probably the cause of the power loss too. The oil use has been there forever I’m not concerned about that.
Both went bad the same day! I have a gremlin! Lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m at the very same place with my project... but costs for me I expect to be much higher. At $300-$400 I’d do it. My machine shop asked me if I considered repowering instead. You can get new on the cheap nowadays. Kinda took a little of my enthusiasm away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re power not a option the way I roll. Either it’s original or it’s trash imo. Rebuilt a cub low-boy she’s a sweetie. Total rebuild on engine was only 600. That’s why I was surprised at the cost of the onan, but onan it is Kolher or any just won’t do.
I have two bolens and would really like them both going. Real workhorses. Just considering making both b43 or 48 rather than the bf

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok now where is a good place to get parts? I’ve no replies from onan parts. Com
I sent them 2 emails with no replies. Looked up FAQs on their site they post no phone number and work by email only! I figured I didn’t send specific enough ID and they also state they don’t give advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sent them 2 emails with no replies. Looked up FAQs on their site they post no phone number and work by email only! I figured I didn’t send specific enough ID and they also state they don’t give advice.

does this make my block junk? .020 wear on cam thrust bearing surface in the block. Could I use a shim? Bearing needs to be replaced. Bf engine

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,460 Posts
Beautiful looking Low Boy! IMO, I would take block and parts for an evalution to an engine machine shop with a excellent reputation, but that's just me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beautiful looking Low Boy! IMO, I would take block and parts for an evalution to an engine machine shop with a excellent reputation, but that's just me.
just wanted to bring this back current. Must be a answer here from experience on something like this
View attachment 2482791
does this make my block junk? .020 wear on cam thrust bearing surface in the block. Could I use a shim? Bearing needs to be replaced. Bf engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. Engine junked, got a bunch of parts now.
The other is running ok but gets real hot. Can’t figure it out. It was fine other than using oil some. Just gets hot then sometimes quits. Cool off a bit then back in business. Mowing gets it real hot. I would guess it’s how long it’s running.
Tilling ok.
Blowing snow no problem, go figure.
Mowing is the issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts