My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lawn tractor starts and runs for about 10 seconds and then dies. Won't restart for 10 minutes. However, If I supply starting ether it will run continually.

·
Super Moderator
25,872 Posts
So not familiar with your setup exactly, does it have the fuel pump on the side of the engine? If so that pump works from a crankcase breather that attaches to the back that "pumps" using the pulsing of the crankcase. The line to the crankcase sometimes dry rots and needs to be changed. A bit of a pain, but once done good for another 30 years or so. I've also seen the pumps fail and most put a small electric fuel pump on them then. Before digging in though I would check to make sure any screens in fuel tank or pickup lines are cleaned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, just went out to look... curiosity. Decided to start it.... won't start with starting fluid tonight... not a cough... Now I am perplexed...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, must have been a couple of problems. The points definitely needed adjusting. Now it runs for 3-4 minutes really smooth and then starts randomly surging. Sometimes it surges badly and backfires. When I put my hand over the carb (choke) it studders then smooths out for 30 seconds and then starts randomly surging again.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump can't keep up with the carb. I added a small electric fuel pump to my 446 several years ago and haven't had any problems since then. It is mounted on the frame just ahead of the fuel tank.

·
Hemlock Case Guy
312 Posts
There are foundational items that all must be addressed to maintain any older equipment. The most important items for a small tractor such as an Onan Case are:

New fuel line SAE 30R7 1/4" and filter tank to carb.
New ignition switch. You must have full voltage transfer. If it has rust on a terminal, it is bad.
Clean Carb, see Hemlock Case Guy channel on YouTube, that is me.
Onan Intake sealed. See Hemlock Case Guy on Facebook.

To all that say that they added an electric fuel pump and have had no issue since then, I reply that I have cleaned and rebuilt the stock system and they have worked as designed when new since then.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are foundational items that all must be addressed to maintain any older equipment. The most important items for a small tractor such as an Onan Case are:

New fuel line SAE 30R7 1/4" and filter tank to carb.
New ignition switch. You must have full voltage transfer. If it has rust on a terminal, it is bad.
Clean Carb, see Hemlock Case Guy channel on YouTube, that is me.
Onan Intake sealed. See Hemlock Case Guy on Facebook.

To all that say that they added an electric fuel pump and have had no issue since then, I reply that I have cleaned and rebuilt the stock system and they have worked as designed when new since then.

AMEN::tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you have the problem again change the condenser and points. 2cyl. engines don't run well with a bad condenser. Address the other items in previous posts only in a last resort

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice. It was actually a friends machine. He says it hasn't run this good in years....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts