My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you can tell me about having this engine rebuilt. It smokes at least when first started but maybe a little all the time. I'm interested in both increasing it's life and power.
Mounted in a Case 646 Mini FEL...I was told it's a 72.
Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks,
Donny

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What model, BF, B43, P216? As for increasing the power I would look at upping the cubic inches. Remember, there is NO replacement for displacement! A 48 ci crankshaft, set of straight beam no window rods, B48G cam, and B48G heads are a good start. As for the smoking it could either be valve guides or the rings/bore is wore. A teardown and a trip to the machine shop is required for this one. If you have a BF, then a bore to the standard Onan bore and a set of standard pistons and new rings is what you need. If you already have a standard bore, have the cylinder measured and if you can get away with it just use new rings; if not it may need to be punched 0.010" over, possibly more depending on how bad it is. If the guides are wore the good news is they are replaceable. The main bearings and cam bearings are also replaceable if it is deemed necessary. I would also look at stepping up to a P220G intake manifold, big throat Nikki carb, big crankcase vent, and matched air cleaner. If your engine is not already equipped I would DEFINATELY add an oil filter. You also will want to replace the oil pump. Club member Boomer (boomers_influence) should be able to help you out with some good used parts. Also, club member TJ (onanparts.com) has a great how to thread here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=91204 All of this is most definately NOT CHEAP, but if done it will give you 20+ hp and the engine will last another 40 years.

Joe

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
A friend of mine has a 646 FEL, it has an 18hp B48M in it. Can you check the engine tag and read the information and post it here?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you have a CCK then disregard everything I said, they are a totally different animal. I am not sure there is much you can do to up the power on a CCKA except for possibly putting CCKB guts in it, that will up you from 16.5 hp to 20 hp.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts