My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in my introduction, I have an Sears ST-16 lawn tractor. I've swapped motors on it and that has been working well until yesterday. My mower deck has seen better days and last night the right blade tower tore itself out of the deck. Rust is the big culprit here. I've owned this unit for over 10 years but as it's a mid 70s model, the 25 years it wasn't in my care shows. I see that the center blade tower had a similar fate dating to before my ownership. It was repaired fairly well(still solid but not pretty, never was) but it's at the point where there really isn't much metal left to work with on the new break.

While I "may" have a line on another factory one(120+ miles away, not low $), I was wondering if anyone had converted to a more contemporary deck? If so, which kind?

All the mounting points are bolt on, so if I can find something newer/more common, I could just adapt a newer stripped 3 blade deck onto this tractor. There's also the reality that these decks, while stout, aren't the best "cutting" units around at least compared to newer mowers IMO.

I've got a friend talking to some of his friends that are lawn mower racers. They tend to treat decks as extra weight so there are probably a few decks laying around surplus, pretty cheap.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I had thought of that too... Theoretically ANYTHING can be done... would take some work. If you get gator blades on your current deck, they work really well! I just put them on my 42" deck. Nice!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

Guys have used newer decks. Getting it all bolted on the lift in away you can still level it so it cuts good is the trick. That and finding a deck that the mandrel pulleys clear the old lift. New size belt might be needed as well I would guess.

If there is a will the is away. I guess it depends on how good one is at making things fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts