My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is the JD Man just replaced mine. When I bought Yardley (2010 X740) last June, the tool box lid was broken. My dealer was anxious to make it right, but between both of us being busy throughout the summer, it was just done last night. Throughout the summer mows, I wondered what I needed to put there, nothing that couldn't get very dirty, as it collected a lot of dirt. I know JD puts a leveler tool in the box and that makes sense, but for my mowing conditions the on board tool box is a place I need to remember to blow out with the air hose when the job is done. On my old quad I keep a spark plug and wrench plus some tire plugs, but these and anything else I might need, are only a couple of hundred of feet away in the garage. Maybe if I was mowing a couple of acres of lush grass it would make sense to carry stuff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The reason I ask is the JD Man just replaced mine. When I bought Yardley (2010 X740) last June, the tool box lid was broken. My dealer was anxious to make it right, but between both of us being busy throughout the summer, it was just done last night. Throughout the summer mows, I wondered what I needed to put there, nothing that couldn't get very dirty, as it collected a lot of dirt. I know JD puts a leveler tool in the box and that makes sense, but for my mowing conditions the on board tool box is a place I need to remember to blow out with the air hose when the job is done. On my old quad I keep a spark plug and wrench plus some tire plugs, but these and anything else I might need, are only a couple of hundred of feet away in the garage. Maybe if I was mowing a couple of acres of lush grass it would make sense to carry stuff.
I carry.. Cresent wrench, pliers, screwdriver, spare draw pins, gloves... oh,.. and an adult beverage in the cup holder.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I carry a small socket set, adjustable wrench, pins, bolts, multi tool, and some other things. Under the seat I keep a tire patching kit and a hand held bike tire pump for flat tires.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,091 Posts
I carry a pair of ear plugs in a small plastic case, a hand pruning shear, a folding pruning saw (from my camping kit), a D-top draw pin that just fits in there one way, and a pair of gloves. It all kind of fits, gloves and ear plugs on top for easiest access.

FWIW, My box stays clean with the lid snapped down. Maybe because there is no room for dirt?

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Band aid's.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Pocket knife to cut open fertilizer bags, hitch pins, gloves, that's about as much as will fit.

·
Super Moderator
16,671 Posts
In My tool box I carry 1 Allen Wrench(so I can removed the drive coupler from the deck to change it over to the Hydraulic tiller Pump), Tire Gauge, Robogrip Pliers, Draw Pin & the tractor Keys when I'm Done for the Day:thThumbsU

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Ear plugs in the fender box and mine collects dust and dirt, but maybe I should fill it up like Jere's.:fing32:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Depends on what I'm doing but whatever is in there is wrapped in a heavy piece of canvas to keep it from rattling around and wearing the box out.

Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hitch pin, tie down straps for tall brush loads in the #10 Cart, gloves. and a beverage in the cup holder:trink39:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I carry a small socket set, adjustable wrench, pins, bolts, multi tool, and some other things. Under the seat I keep a tire patching kit and a hand held bike tire pump for flat tires.
In case you guys are wondering all these tools are for the other stuff in my signature. If it breaks in the field I like to have stuff on hand. No the tire patch kit is for the X520. Those front HDAP's and thorns do not get along to well.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
As you can see, the X 500 series has a glove holder behind the seat.
The single bucket can hold a host of things ....... pins, pruners, saws etc. depending on the job. and my Moms old extension grabbers for trash and twigs. ( so I don't have to get off.)
The on board holder you asked about, has my sunglass case, digital tire gauge, wash-out coupler ( useless :ROF ) and shear pins. the X500 series shuts and doesn't leak dust.
P.S. the model #7 trailer holds..................... not much :sidelaugh

·
Registered
396 Posts
I carry gloves, hitch pins, garage door opener, hand pruners, shop rag, screw drive and pliers. I don't have an adult beverage holder :crybaby:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Humm, guess I am one of the few that don't carry tools in mine all the time. It depends on the season. Spring/Fall - Gloves, MP3 player, a drink and a snack. Summer - Gloves, snack, Drink with a small ice pack. Winter - Wrench, Socket wrench and Socket, Sheer pics and my MP3 Player(might be just the MP3 this year paved drive at the new place). As you can tell I don't have a cup holder that is OK my Bottle of water is always dust and Grass free and Cold.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
a hand pruning shear... :fing32:

after I get hit in the face with an errant twig 2x, it gets CUT OFF! :)

...extension grabbers for trash and twigs. ( so I don't have to get off.)
I just ordered a 3'er for fall cleanup! Hope it works well. lazy?? well of course, but I think it will speed up the process too... pick'em up and toss them in the trailer!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts