My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this X370 late last summer. I have a grand total of 13 hours on the mower, and was doing the annual maintenance this weekend and noticed something concerning.

In the picture below, the left plug came from the driver side of the motor. It looks black and sooty. The one on the right looks more normal, it's a bit carbon fouled but I'm used to seeing that in lawn mowers. The engine sounds fine. Just not sure what's causing the black soot.

These were the OEM plugs... first time they were pulled. NGK BPR4ES, and I used the LG265 kit from Deere which had the same plugs.

I guess I'll watch it this year... still under warranty, so if it keeps doing this I'll take it back to dealer.

·
4,236 Posts
Does it look like the gap is out of wack on that dirty one?...for a new machine a weak spark seems like the likely cause....other causes indicate more of a problem that would not be seen on an engine with 13 hours...I would check the new plugs and compare after the first time you use them...in the meantime I would give the dealer a heads up that this is what you found...see if he has s response

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Is that sooty or oily? If sooty, change plugs, properly gap them, and review it again after a few more hours. If it repeats then, call the service guys for a look.

If that photo is oily, I'd call the dealer right away and have them look at the problem.

Good luck, hope that's just a faulty plug sooting up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's a new machine. Ask your dealer to check it out. Like Roger said, you paid for a warranty, so use it.

My advice otherwise would be to replace both plugs and see if it happens again.

·
2,465 Posts
I agree replace the plugs... maybe someone dropped one at the factory. Make sure they're gapped properly, run it for a while and see.

With only 13 hours the engine isn't even really broken-in yet, so I wouldn't be too worried. Keep an eye on the oil... what's in there now btw?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'm going to watch it. I put in new plugs, checked the gap was .030, torqued them down to 15 ft/lbs per the manual, and replaced the oil/filter with the JD turfgard 10w30.

I just found it curious. I'll see if it was just a bad plug, maybe incomplete combustion. I'll go check the gap on the old plugs too, just to see. If still a problem this summer I'll take it in to the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts