1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Learning as I go along
273 Posts
I don't know much about them, but I have read a little about a couple of Bush Hog tractor owners (on this site), or seen them on a members list of equipment. Try seaarching the forum.

They seem to be rugged machines, were likely expensive, and that may be why you only see limited numbers of them. Would be a neat project, maybe a nice puller with that long wheel base.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
I had one similar to that years ago,a model V4-7D..had a 7.25 hp Wisconsin and a three speed peerless cast iron transaxle..very rugged tractor,it was built from 1/4" plate,and the plow and push frame it had was 3/8" thick steel,push frame was triangle shaped and fully boxed,went all the way back to the pins inboard of the rear wheels..it plowed very nicely..

I saw one like it at a small engine swap meet a month ago--it was a larger version like the one in the CL ad--it had an early cast iron Tecumseh HH100 on it,most had Wisconsins --this one had a bellhousing and clutch like a car,and a 5 speed tranny with high/low range,and a honest to God PTO splined shaft sticking out of the back,just like a farm tractor has only smaller!..one other one I spotted on CL a few years ago I really should have bought just like that one,I passed on,could have gotten it for 100 bucks--it was in tough shape though,been rusting outside for years and had 4 junk tires ,rims,and the engine was stuck..

"Oldcowhand" here has several Bush Hogs,he's the guy that would know a lot more about them..

·
Registered
498 Posts
very cool tractor

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you think the hp rateing for this engine is?

Attachments

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts

Probably one of those HUGE wisconsins (forget the model #) like my 60" yazoo came with..rated 12hp!

Talk about torque though. No modern 12hp will run a 60" deck.

There was a Bush Hog tractor at an auction I had to miss a couple of years ago. The hood was crushed like something heavy fell on it. Looked heavy duty with god ags. Heard it sold for $300.

Now, if you want 12hp or so and have room for a little longer wisconsin...how about a 4 cylinder in line OHV?

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
It looks bigger than that. It is one of the old briggs with the B/S stamped on it like I have in my root, and the smaller 5-6hp I have in the craftsman mower and the MW 2 wheel garden tractor. Mine is a 13hp, but thats probably not that big, of course the sheetmetal is about the same, can't tell the bore & stroke by the sheetmetal. really can't tell the sheetmetal size since they look similar. Just going by the pretty well standard size square gas tank for proportion. I'm going to guess 10hp, but if it turned out to be a 5, I wouldn't be shocked.
Should have looked closer before I posted first, the briggs fan shroud is a lot squarer than a wisconsin. (and that briggs carb)

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Looks like a Model 23 Briggs. I have a early 50's, '53 I think, that's rated at 9hp. Good engines IMO.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Its a tough tractor. lol :thThumbsU
But you really should buy it.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
Looks like a Model 23 Briggs. I have a early 50's, '53 I think, that's rated at 9hp. Good engines IMO.
:ditto:...I'd say its a model 23 ,9 HP--possibly a 11 HP ..definately a Briggs..

Even the smaller 6-7 HP model 14 Briggs are pretty torquey,one I have on my SS-12 Suburban plows nicely..might not run the deck though!..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts