My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Oliver 70 off Craigslist a couple weeks ago. The seller had no idea what year it is, he wasn't even sure if it was electic start or not before I went to look at it lol. From researching on the internet I found out the S/N is suppose to be stamped on a plate and attached to the left side of the engine. My plate is gone, I see where it is suppose to be, but it isn't there.

How else can I identify what year this thing is and if it is a 70 standard or a 70 industrial? It is a wide front end, so I know it isn't a row crop, and it is electric start, has 6 forward gears, has a hand crank, has a belt pulley on the side and a regular pto shaft in the back, has 24 inch rims on it, and foot brakes for each wheel.

I will try to put up some pictures later this evening. Anything you guys could point out about it or any help you could give me would be great.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pictures. I forgot to add that it has a Delco Remy distributor too, rather than a magneto.

Attachments

· On my way to 1k posts!
688 Posts
From the information that I was given, i found out that your tractor is a Oliver Standard 70, this tractor was produced from 1944-1948. You DONT have an industrial because they never made an Oliver 70 Industrial with a 6 speed tranny, only 4 speeds. Hope i helped a little bit.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I appriciate it !!

From the information that I was given, i found out that your tractor is a Oliver Standard 70, this tractor was produced from 1944-1948. You DONT have an industrial because they never made an Oliver 70 Industrial with a 6 speed tranny, only 4 speeds. Hope i helped a little bit.
I don't want to come off as arguing, I really appriciate your input and I admit that I am a newbie in the tractor world, but could you state your source for this information?

Reason I ask that is that everything I am coming up with, through google, shows that they made both the Standard and Industrial 70 from 1936-1948. Standard serial numbers started with a 3 and Industrial serial numbers started with a 4. The 6 speed transmission was a special order option up until 1944 when it became standard equipment in all 4 variations of the 70 (RC, Standard, Orchard, and Industrial). I am pretty sure my tractor is a 1946. I read somewhere earlier that there is a casting date on the bottom of the transmission/axle area, mine has 9 27 6....so I assume 1946.

Now, I had basically convinced myself that my tractor was a Standard. But tonight, the more I look at it, I see specs of yellowish/orangish/goldish paint showing through the old faded green in spots. The pictures of the Industrials I see on the web are this same shade of yellow/orange/gold as the specs I see on my tractor. I added some pictures of various spots on the tractor where I see the yellowish color. Now, seeing these specs of paint makes me wonder if it's an industrial. I mean, it's an ugly color, so why would someone intentionally paint the tractor yellow somewhere along the line if that wasn't the original color?

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also found this old Oliver 70 Standard "sales brochure" that talks about the various features and selling points. It has a lot of old pictures too.

It's too big to upload here, 2.67 MB. Here is a link to the same ad on my website.

http://knuckle-buster.com/showthread.php?27-Oliver-70-ad

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also see a S/N stamped into the left rear corner of the block, just below the head. My 70 shop manual says that is the "engine s/n". Would that help in determining the year of the tractor or model?

Assuming it's the original engine, the s/n is 40263 G3

· Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Going my my Oliver book. I'm going to rule that either your front axle has been changed, or it's not an industrial. It's not uncommon for these old tractors to have several layers of paint varying in color on them. In was pretty sure yours was the standard front end, but the paint through me off.

As for the year, I think your on track. In 1947 the fleetline series came out, and with that the all new styling which included the ability to see the engine with the side tins on. So for sure your tractor is 1936 to 1946, If the tin is correct.

On further investigation into your pictures, the orange/yellow your seeing is almost identical to "Prairie Gold" which would be a Minneapolis Moline color. How ever many cities, towns, etc. used similar paint of their tractors that were used for ditch mowing. Your tractor could have been owned by a town/city and then sold and repainted. Had it been a darker orange it would be Oliver's orange for the industrial tractors.

Not much info here, but has the HP listings and such.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/6/7/670-oliver-70.html

Here's a picture of my grandfathers Oliver that I spend a lot of time operating. Its a 1958 Oliver 770.

· Registered
271 Posts
Bill, there was a design change in the fleetlines in the mid fifties. The 55,66,77, and 88 tractors had the full side curtains in several variations. When the design changes took place, they called the tractors Super 55, Super 66 and so on. This is when the side curtains were changed to the "upside down U shaped" side curtains.

· Registered
460 Posts
I was wondering if you might have or know anyone on the forum that would have a service manual for a :

Cockshutt 1850 Tractor Service Manual 0-202
or
A-SMO202 Oliver & Cockshutt Shop Manual
or
1969 Oliver / cockshutt 1850 shop manual

^ It's all the same tractor, i've just seen different phrasings for it.
I think Oliver was USA / Cockshutt Canada.

Thanks -1979JohnDeere314

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.