My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have an Oliver 1650 with a dual battery setup...the batteries are 3 years old. The problem is they don't seem to be getting charged. I have to jump the tractor to get it started and even after running if for an hour, if I shut her down I have to jump it again to get it restarted. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you jump the tractor to start it, your batteries must be low on voltage. Once the tractor starts there must be SOME voltage to keep it running: voltage getting to the distributor. Maybe the batteries aren't COMPLETELY dead.
Here's what I'd do. Start by cleaning ALL the battery cables and grounding point and inspect them for ANY signs of corrosion. Next, charge each battery individualy and then load test and/or use a hydrometer to find any weakness in them. When the battery system is up to snuff, start the tractor and check the output of the alternator ( I assume alt and not gen ).
That's where I'd start. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI, thanks for the info! I did just go through and clean all the connectons, but didn't think to do the grounding point, so thanks for the headsup on that. Checking the voltage, one of the batteries is good, but the other is almost nill and doesn't seem to take a charge....obviously replacing that battery is the best bet. The alternator seems ok, I didn't have a way to check the output, but putting a screwdriver near the back of it while running definitely showed a magnetic charge being created. I'm wondering if I would be better off going with one large 12v battery instead of the two 6 volt.....???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts