My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Oliver 588 loader for my 550 tractor. It did not come with the front mounted pump. Based on the information from the Loader and tractor manuals the pump should be produce 18 gpm @ 2000 rpm. Does anyone know the manufacture of the original pump or a good replacement pump? Also, the manufacture of the control value? The only information on the value is the letters AICO.

· Super Moderator
24,203 Posts
I stand to be corrected, but that much flow seems to be a bit excessive for a loader on that small of a tractor. Depending on lift cylinder size, a flow rate of 6 - 8 gpm would be more realistic unless the pump has other tasks to perform at the same time.

Check here for pumps and valve sets.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tudor, Thanks for your input and the link. I have been to that site a few times and have a pump book marked. As for the GPM, I'm just going by the 588 loader operator's and parts manual. The manual does have a picture of the control valve where the caption reads "with backhoe disconnected". The 18 GPM spec might be for the loader/backhoe combined. I assumed the RPM of 2000 because per the Operator"s manual, that's the governed speed of the 550.
Josh

· Super Moderator
24,203 Posts
Back hoes on tractors usually require the same flow rate as the loader, and both are not operated at the same time. I have two small loaders. The one on the GT is hydraulically capable of lifting a ton at 1500 psi with its 2" bore cylinders. Pump flow for that loader is about 4.5 gpm at working speed which is a tiny bit more than maximum flow for the loader and hoe on my SCUT. To run the hoe at the max flow rate, you really, really want to be "in the groove" or you'll rattle your teeth with the jerkiness. Both would be so quick to operate at 18 gpm that control would be impossible.

Give me the loader lift cylinder sizes (bore and stroke) and I'll figure out the size of pump that you'll need for 2000 rpm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.