My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am glad to be a part of this forum where I can learn and share information
I currently just picked up a 550 from my 4th generation family farm in Southern Ohio and need some identification help
I have located the specification number and serial number
But the problem is a little deeper
The tractor I was told is a wide rear that was once used in orchards no idea ?
Second its non profit non 3 point which almost renders it useless
However it has a triumph aftermarket hydraulic system that runs a side mount sickle bar attachment a d for the life of me I can't find anything about this tractor anywhere
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Tractor
n

· Registered
2,111 Posts
How about a side picture of the rear wheels?

I am going to say the rear wheels are reversed to give it a wider stance, more stable on the side of a hill.
Looks like the pins for the three point hitch draw bars are there, draw bars are not.
I also see no controls or hydraulics to raise and lower a three point hitch.
The grill is different from what I find online, so possibly it is an orchard model, and you would not really need a three point hitch in a orchard.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
So looking at those pictures, take both rear wheels off, remount them with the right wheel on the left side and left on the right and you will have a regular width tractor. But it will be much less stable on the side of a hill.
We ran our wheels out most of the year unless a specific attachment required them in for clearance. Most of our hay fields involved hills, some of them rather steep as in tractor sliding steep.
I will also say an orchard tractor will normally have a down swept exhaust to get under tree branches, not the stack you have.

From a little reading, that tractor had several different variations originally.
Looks like a decent little farm tractor.

I wonder if there is a PTO shaft behind that block off plate on the rear?
Do you have a lever to engage the PTO on probably the left side of the transmission housing?

· Registered
2,111 Posts
Where does the mower get power from?
Our Massey Ferguson's had a pulley on the PTO that drove a driveshaft that went back up to the mower.
But they also had hydraulics built in that handled the mower lift cylinder.

We did have a couple Ford's, 8N and others from that time period that did not have hydraulics or a PTO.
They were good for rake duty or pulling a wagon, but that was about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.