My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They say everything is bigger in Texas... I want to prove "They" wrong. I had a crazy idea awhile back while attending tech school. I want to repower a 1950 Oliver with a 6v-92 Detroit (came stock with a 4-53 Detroit). I know I might not be the first guy to ever do this, or something like this, and I'm ok with that. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any info that may be useful in my upcoming endeavor. I found some rough measurements on a site. The length and height are almost the same (within an inch or two). The big problem will be the width. The 6v-92 is close to a foot wider that the 4-53, but since the tractor doesn't have much for side tins I am feeling very confident I can make it work. So if anyone out there is an Oliver or 2 stroke Detroit diesel fan/fanatic, I am willing to take any advice/ help I can get. Except advice that tells me I’m wasting my time and money. I want to complete this project and that’s that.

Thanks in advance,
Thebooger13
:fing32:

P.S.- I was just looking back at the dimensions again and I guess the height was a little more than I remembered, the 4-53 is 37"H-39"L-27"W, whereas the 6v-92 is 47"H-41"L-39"W. So I see now the biggest hurdle i'll have is the height issue. After that is figuring out the bell housing to see if it will even bolt up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think my only concern would be width, getting it to fit in the tub. Other than that. GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that Minnie is flippin' awesome. However I don't want to get quite that carried away. I want to be able to (hopefully) make this tractor appear stock(ish), with a cab so I can use it to chop stalks or even pull wagons in the fall, so I don't freeze my hind quarters off. We always seem to be one tractor shy at my uncle's farm either due to breakdowns or they just simply wont start. I love older tractors, there's something about the simplicity of them that is just appealing to me. So again if any of you hear or see anything online or elsewhere let me know.

Thanks.
thebooger13

·
Registered
278 Posts
Booger, My very first suggestion would be to go to 4btswaps and poke around in the Detroit section. a LOT of knowledgeble Detroit guys there. My only concern for the swap would be the "bellhousing adaptor" The peice that bolts to the back of the block and the bell bolts to. Other than that, I would think the swap would be reletively straight forward. i am with the others. GO FOR IT!!:fing32:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still trying to track down a running 6v-92 for the project. I've heard thru the grape vine of a few in my area but so far they have all come up with nothing. I'm still going to keep on looking, I'm not giving up yet.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts