My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Oliver 1650. It has been sitting for 3 years. I replaced the battery today and had a flash back to 10 years ago when I replaced the battery last time. (did I put the battery in backwards this time) I did not watch to see if the battery was in right/wrong last time. Right now positive to ground!

From the factory the tractor is positive ground (?). Can't find the manuals today. Red cable goes to ground. I have a week memory that maybe the tractor was converted to negative ground.

Tractor starts and runs. The "amp light" blinks! I think the tractor will run positive or negative. I need to go back out in the rain and see what the regulator and alternator/generator looks like. Maybe there is a hint. I have a fear that last time I could only get a positive regulator from the store so I reversed everything.

I need help with my memory or my tractor. or both. Blinking amp light? I could attach pictures if that helps. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More information. Some one replaced the ground wire with RED wire.
I (now) covered the red wire with black tape and the back wire with red tape.
The clue is; the battery terminals are different sized. The clamps are different sized by a small amount. So I could determine how the old battery was connected.
I may have killed the regulator. When it stops snowing I will give it a try.
(The Oliver 1650 is 12V negative ground.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just saw your post. It is definitely negative ground. Can honestly say I never ran something connected backwards, but am sure the alternator would not take it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Be0354,

I am a little surprised the alternator survived.

My very old tractor repair man said things will run fine backwards (except the alternator).
He and I "flashed" an alternator (or was it a generator) years ago. I needed a positive ground alternator but could not get one. I can't remember exactly how, I sparked a wire on the alternator a couple times and the alternator started producing a negative voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts