My Tractor Forum banner

Oliver 1365 Oil Pressure

14165 Views 51 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  gerg60
I have an Oliver 1365 that suddenly lost all oil pressure while building a brush pile. When I started it that morning, the pressure was normal- about 40 lbs. While pushing brush, I heard a slight "clink" from somewhere up front, but dismissed it a loader noise. A few minutes later, I could smell hot oil. Checked my gauges and found no oil pressure. Shut it off, checked the oil level and found it normal. Looked for any outward signs of problems and found nothing. Restarted the engine just long enough to verify the total loss of pressure, then shut it down. When I towed it into the shop and dropped the oil pan, I found an 8mm bolt about 1 1/2" long lying in the bottom of the pan. It was bent at a 90 degree angle and part of the head was missing on one side. My conclusion was that it must belong in a hole that goes back into an oil galley, and it being out is allowing the oil to "free flow" without building any pressure. I've removed and inspected the oil pump and found nothing wrong . I've pulled the vibration damper down from the engine and found nothing wrong. So far, I can't find a hole where it belongs.

From lying underneath the engine looking up, I can see that the main oil galley appears to run right beside the camshaft. My only remaining theory is that this bolt may belong in the cam retainer plate and it's mounting hole is drilled back into the the oil galley.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these Fiat engines? Or does anyone have a engine out of a tractor that they could look at and see where this bolt could have possibly come from?

In order for me to get into the timing cover on this one is major surgery.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
The washers in the bottom of the pan usually indicate that the tractor has been operated a lot with the PTO Clutch lever in the up position. I did not realize that this is a no-no until one of the mechanics I talked to informed me.

The service manual is free. Just let me know your email address.
Think I'll take you up on the offer as I really can't find anyone familiar with these engines the Oliver dealer said they hadn't worked on a 1365 in a long while so maybe I'll try it myself.My email is [email protected] thanks.
blueberrymuzik,

May I also get a copy of that repair manual?

My dad's 1365 loses oil pressure once it runs for 2 hours, and now the 3 point hitch has stopped working completely. Looks like it needs some medical attention soon, so your manual would probably be a big help.

I'll send a PM to you with my email.

Thanks,
mb
On the 3pt not working pull the screen out on the intake line to the pump and clean it throughly any water in the screen and the oil won't flow thru it,if the hydraulic oil is yellow you'll need to change it.
Thanks. Will try to find the intake line. And yes, the oil is looking kinda yellow.

Thanks!
Just follow the large metal line down from the hydraulic pump on the engine and it'll be the big tube like deal with a cap with two bolts holding it on, take the bolts out and the cap comes off and the screen will pull out.It needs to be cleaned in something like carb cleaner.If you change the oil in the rear dump a can of Seafoam in the oil run it awhile and then drain it.Also you may need to let one of the remotes dump to purge the system of trapped air.
And put a new O Ring on when you put the cap back.
Hello Folks,

Say for my Oliver 1365, I am very interested in that down loadable service manual Jim has mentioned.

I just picked my sweety up yesterday, from a 92 year old man (traded to dealer) I promised him I would visit him in four more years to let him know how it is running yet.

I have not seen one of these in 25 years, I need to do a complete top to bottom service, anyone have any suggestions for me? I am thinking there may be 45 years of condensation in the cases, hoping not, but I am going to assume there is and service it accordingly.

Also is there a good place to source new parts?, than used parts? Mine has a cab, I am thinking of removing it and just putting on the factory fenders... not sure yet.
Chris, if you will send me a private message with your email address in it, I will send you a copy of the service manual.

Jim
Hi folks, HELP, say Jim, wondering if you still have access to that downloadable Oliver 1365 service manual. I was brush mowing and I lost all three point power in a few seconds. Almost like a blew a seal or dumped oil. Thanks folks. Cliff

Attachments

Chris, I will need you email address in order to send you a link for the manual. The best way to do that is to send me a private message containing your address.
Good morning, here is my email and thank you! Cliff

Attachments

How in the world does on start a thread on here lol, I am baffled and I work with computers all the time. :)
Chris, when you first come to the Oliver forum, (or any other forum on here) you will see, a START NEW THREAD button of the left hand side of the page, just above the list of posts. Click it, and have fun posting.
MikeC
Sorry, Chris- I still don't see an email address. I cannot send the link to the manual through the forum.I will need your non-forum email address. It can be gmail, hotmail or any one of a thousand different hosts. The best way to send that address is by private message. As a member of the forum, you can go to the top of the page and look for private messages. You can create a private message to anyone on the forum. If you send your email address that way, it won't publish it to anyone except the recipient.
Hi

I am new to the site and have been following your thread. I have a 1974 Oliver model 1365 that I am rebuilding it is a 4 wheel drive. I am looking for a manual, would you by chance know where I can get one? I am trying to find out currently what weight of oil it takes for everything. Thanks for all and any input you have.
I have an Oliver 1365 that suddenly lost all oil pressure while building a brush pile. When I started it that morning, the pressure was normal- about 40 lbs. While pushing brush, I heard a slight "clink" from somewhere up front, but dismissed it a loader noise. A few minutes later, I could smell hot oil. Checked my gauges and found no oil pressure. Shut it off, checked the oil level and found it normal. Looked for any outward signs of problems and found nothing. Restarted the engine just long enough to verify the total loss of pressure, then shut it down. When I towed it into the shop and dropped the oil pan, I found an 8mm bolt about 1 1/2" long lying in the bottom of the pan. It was bent at a 90 degree angle and part of the head was missing on one side. My conclusion was that it must belong in a hole that goes back into an oil galley, and it being out is allowing the oil to "free flow" without building any pressure. I've removed and inspected the oil pump and found nothing wrong . I've pulled the vibration damper down from the engine and found nothing wrong. So far, I can't find a hole where it belongs.

From lying underneath the engine looking up, I can see that the main oil galley appears to run right beside the camshaft. My only remaining theory is that this bolt may belong in the cam retainer plate and it's mounting hole is drilled back into the the oil galley.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these Fiat engines? Or does anyone have a engine out of a tractor that they could look at and see where this bolt could have possibly come from?

In order for me to get into the timing cover on this one is major surgery.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

I have enjoyed reading your posts. I wanted to see if you would email more information reqarding the repair of my Fiat engine in my Oliver 1365. I am getting an oil pressure light and a knock when the engine first starts when there is a cold start. Doha LS for any help!

[email protected]
I know this is an old topic but I have a white 1370 and am in need of the service manual. I have the original Oliver manual but not too informative. I am hoping you can share your better manual with me.
Yes, it took me quite a long time and a lot of searching to find it, but it is fixed.
Here is what I found-
The loss of pressure was in the oil pump. I disassembled it several times and missed the problem every time. There were several shards of metal in the pressure regulator on the oil pump.They came from the bolt that came loose and got into the timing gears.

If you would like, when you are ready to start working on the problem, I can offer the benefit of my experience. I've learned that if you disassemble things in a certain order, it is about 10 times easier. I hope that I can save you from having to go through the same learning curve that I did.

What do you have for a service manual for your Oliver? I started out with the only one that I knew about. It was originally published by Oliver- it is pretty incomplete. During all of my searching for information, I found the original Fiat Factory Service Manual in England. It has about 10 times the amount of info that is in the Oliver book. I was able to download it and have it on my computer. I can share it with you if you need it.

Jim
Is there a link to this manual??
If you need the original Fiat Service Manual for the tractor, just let me know.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts