My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some trouble with our oliver 1255 on the farm today.

A couple weeks ago it was noticed that the 3 point was raising rather slowly and we figured that it needed some more fluid as it does leak out of the seals slowly.

I was on vacation for a week or so and today I noticed that the Raise/lower handle for the 3 point system no longer wants to stay lowered. Instead it will raise up on you if you do not hold the handle down.

and now for the biggest issue we are now having/created.

Owner/me did not know about the dipstick next to the e brake handle and proceeded to dump 5 gallons of tractor oil into the transmission case below the seat (pictures provided) We figured that the big bolt was the fill hole and the small bolt in front of it which is long was the fill line. (DOH) it took ALL 5 gallons and when the tractor started the 3 point raised on its own and is now STUCK up. we cannot move the actuator that the handle moves with all our might.

we then through google figured out about the dip stick and as soon as I pulled it oil came gushing out. we opened the hydraulic dump pump that's on the left side of the tractor underneath the seat and took almost all 5 gal out before the fill line was within the normal reading on the dipstick

some problems I have noticed.

there is now a howling noise that's coming from around where you would pump out excess oil on (the area below the seat)

Through google again I have figured out that this STP tractor oil is 10w30 and says it will work with transmission/hydraulic applications. Is this the right oil for an oliver 1255?

I figure that some oil got in a spot where it shouldn't be and has locked the armature up for lowering the 3 point and unfortunately there is an implement on there right now. is there any suggestive advice on how we can get the oil drained out and return the 3 point to operational status?? This is our daily use tractor and it would be a darn shame if we had to take it apart and rebuild it because of a stupid mistake like this.

can provide videos/more pictures if needed

thanks

Evan

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE. By removing the front long bolt that is in front of the fill bolt the actuator now moves and you can lower and raise the 3 point again. It was somehow blocking the actuator from moving and re installing it now hasn't caused anymore trouble SO our main problem is fixed.

BUT the lower/raise handle still wont stay lowered unless you hold it down.

does anyone have a picture of their 1255 hand lever assembly to figure out what we might be missing.

I have worked with this tractor for a few weeks now and to me something looks like it is indeed missing. We don't have the service manual for this tractor unfortunately.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts