My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a few months ago about problems I had starting a recently purchased used lawn tractor, a Craftsman 917.254421 20 hp tractor with a 20 HP Onan engine, I believe.
Here is a link to this thread. Below are some pictures of the LT and the starter bolts.

So far I have been able to remove a lot of the cowling, sheet metal, etc. After getting to the starter, which is on the front lower left of the engine, I can see bolts but there is not enough clearance between the edges of the hex bolt and the surrounding engine to get a socket around it. You can see the red circles in the pictures -- both bolts are unable to get a socket around them. To get to the starter do you have remove the engine from chasis? I really hope not.

I have looked through the FAQ, Google, and other sources for the service manual, but all I can find is the owners manual which does not provide much detail. Any recommendation on where to find the service manual?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
a better socket should do. cheaper sockets rely on thickness over the strength of metal.. You'll find somthing like a Craftsmen, mac, proto, Stanley, Snap on or Proto will likely be thin enough to fit in there..

That tractor isn't an LT, it's a GT-6000, with the rareish 20hp Onan. most were 16hp and 18hp Briggs and some Kohlers IIRC.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a better socket should do. cheaper sockets rely on thickness over the strength of metal.. You'll find somthing like a Craftsmen, mac, proto, Stanley, Snap on or Proto will likely be thin enough to fit in there..
Thanks Matt. I will check to see if I can find a thinner socket. I believe the ones I am using are some mid-grade Craftsman long sockets, like these (not these exact ones).

This starter is in there tight. My only other options are to take the engine off of the chasis and/or remove the exhaust system. Neither sounds fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.