My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Walker ZTR and checked the forum. Not a whole lot of related posting going on here. :dunno:

My newly acquired machine is a '96 MS with a 42"GHS deck.

Engine is a Kawasaki FE350. A little underpowered for commercial use but should be just fine for my one acre. Previous owner only cut a half acre for the last 19 years and it shows 920 hrs on the meter.

The GHS dump hopper is one of the big attractions but it has been neglected so the directional chute does not turn and consequently has worn out an area in the hopper screen. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Here's a few pics just as I picked it up. Couldn't resist taking it for a spin in the snow.

Was getting close to sunset so the color is a little off.

. walker mower 001.JPG walker mower 002.JPG
walker mower 005.JPG walker mower 007.JPG
walker mower 008.JPG walker mower 025.JPG

So are there any more Walker Guys out there ? :howdy:

Would like to hear "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" about these machines, and any tricks you may have learned. :thanku:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don,t know any thing about that but looks like a pretty handi unit.all self contained.

Thanks Gray,

I've had an eye out for one for years, but always see just big expensive commercial units.

This one is just 11.5 hp (5 mph) and 42" deck which is center discharge so you can mow right to the edge on both sides, no big bagger tube on one side.

There is a HD belt driven blower to lift the grass up into the hopper and the hopper chute is "supposed" to swing back and forth to distribute the load rather than pile it.

With the hopper dump feature, no more bags to lug around and shake out.

The flip up deck is a real plus feature for cleaning and sharpening the blades as well, after years of laying on the driveway to do it.

The Zero Turn is a real laugh to drive too, after having to make big circles turning a conventional GT.

Haven't mowed anything but snow so far, but I'm thinking this Walker is a Keeper.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bumped

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove about 5 hrs today and picked up a fairly solid 42" GHS deck complete with gear boxes/blades/pto shaft and center discharge chute.

Also got 3 wheels with tires, one smooth steering tire and a pair of the wider 8.5" drives with new turf tires. These were optional with the larger HP engines.

Hey Walker Guys :howdy: Does anyone know if the wider rims will bolt right up on the '96 MS 11hp or will I need the spacers (unclear in the parts book) to get enough clearance ? It currently has the 6.5" stock tires and it was just too cold out there to try. I took a chance on them.

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
Drove about 5 hrs today and picked up a fairly solid 42" GHS deck complete with gear boxes/blades/pto shaft and center discharge chute.

Also got 3 wheels with tires, one smooth steering tire and a pair of the wider 8.5" drives with new turf tires. These were optional with the larger HP engines.

Hey Walker Guys :howdy: Does anyone know if the wider rims will bolt right up on the '96 MS 11hp or will I need the spacers (unclear in the parts book) to get enough clearance ? It currently has the 6.5" stock tires and it was just too cold out there to try. I took a chance on them.

Larry just 5 hours? :sidelaugh

I know the lengths one will go to when that scarce part is finally found. I drove 4 hours one way to pick up a OEM plow for the GT65. Think we all have heard how scarce those are. And along the way picked up an Eaton 751, just to break up the trip.

Sounds like a great deal. A deck and a complete set of spare drive train, and then some. :fing32:

The commercial guys around here love these Walkers..........Lots of them have another truck or trailer, that they back into and dump the grass to haul away. They never have to get of their rigs. Not quite as fast or as big as some, but the Walkers are very nimble and leave a great cut.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry just 5 hours? :sidelaugh

I know the lengths one will go to when that scarce part is finally found. I drove 4 hours one way to pick up a OEM plow for the GT65. Think we all have heard how scarce those are. And along the way picked up an Eaton 751, just to break up the trip.

Sounds like a great deal. A deck and a complete set of spare drive train, and then some.:fing32:

The commercial guys around here love these Walkers..........Lots of them have another truck or trailer, that they back into and dump the grass to haul away. They never have to get of their rigs. Not quite as fast or as big as some, but the Walkers are very nimble and leave a great cut.
Jack, Welcome to the Walker Forum. It's pretty quiet over here.:dunno:

Yah, 5 hrs driving. Keep in mind, north of the border we have 1/10th the population density you folks have, so used opportunities are a lot farther apart. Fortunately the price of gas is down right now.

This one just has a hinge dump hopper but there are videos out there with the lift option that will raise the hopper and unload over the side of a p/u truck. Like you said, they never get out of the seat.

This low dump just gives me an excuse to scoop up the heap with the Ford GT loader then drop it up on top of the compost pile. Finally no more bags to carry and shake out.

Not sure about the speed/hp on the newer ones but the side discharge decks now go up to 82" if I remember the video correctly.

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
Larry, unfortunately my trip was when gas was around $4 for a US gallon.........

Thanks for the welcome... Looks scarce over here, but that means by mid summer you will be the Walker guru here.

Anything to mention the loader uses and rub salt in the wounds of us loader challenged. I would be doing the same. I do expect to have some lifting abilities with the GT this summer. Why would anyone not use a loader very chance they could get. Have to admit........every now and then I do a search for LGT's

Can't wait to see some action photos of your walker in 5 months.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That loader is the best thing I ever had for working outdoors, and I'll take advantage of any excuse to use it, but you got me on the others. Both my snow blower and rototiller are walk'ems. Need the exercise in my old age.

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
That loader is the best thing I ever had for working outdoors, and I'll take advantage of any excuse to use it, but you got me on the others. Both my snow blower and rototiller are walk'ems. Need the exercise in my old age.
I can see the walk behinds and exercise.......Some of the places I do.....are quarter mile apart..........so loading and unloading would be the hassle.

Agreed, why grab a pike or cant to turn logs when you use a loader. Saves more backs; old or young.

Larry you were right on very small crowd on this side........:dunno:

The Walker will get the lawn done so fast..........give you more loader and fishing time. :fing32::fing32:

Yeah the only thing I might have you on is a diesel..........a few specific accessories...........but lets see I do not have a sod cutter or a tiller. or 12 tractors. Guess we each have a good selection of work toys.

I need to get to retirement before I can maintain half that many. :sidelaugh

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I forgot about the sod cutter, what with all this white stuff where we should have green.

That is an amazing machine ! I look out at an area in the lawn that is either too high or too low and go fire up the sod cutter. After rolling up the grass, I use the tiller or loader to raise or lower the lay of the land and then roll the grass back down.

Presto ! Right back to mature weeds errrrrr.....grass, the same day. Never know I'd been there. This is all part of the big plan, along with the Walker ZRT, to make the entire place "Mow Over" friendly.

I actually ran an ad locally and was cutting and removing sod other people didn't want, then bringing it home and laying it down here. Instant lawn where, hours before, I just had mud. Now,even the Wife was impressed with one of my machines. She just shakes her head anymore as at least I'm not bringing home other women.:ROF

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
Larry, totally agree........sod cutter is amazing............I mean cutting the lawn from underneath and rolling it up.

Probably one of the most amazing turnarounds on new houses....all the construction around new houses..........and then bam..........looks like its been there for years when the sod gets laid all around.

Maybe you should write an ad campaign...........Buy this sod cutter.......it will baffle your wife............but still impress her.

Just note the machine that the wife will hate the most......is the one that might push her tractor outside the garage.........definite line in the sand.

I think all wives like some tractors in the garage..........keeps the husband out of the house...............:sidelaugh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Larry, congrats on the Walker. I have a couple of them ( a GHS and a SD) and they give a nice cut and the GHS is awesome at giving the clean look to a yard. I found some trash bags that fit on the back of my bin so when i dump it everything goes right into the bag.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Larry, congrats on the Walker. I have a couple of them ( a GHS and a SD) and they give a nice cut and the GHS is awesome at giving the clean look to a yard. I found some trash bags that fit on the back of my bin so when i dump it everything goes right into the bag.
Hey Robjon, great to hear from another Walker owner. For awhile I was beginning to think I had the only Walker on MTF.

EDIT: And welcome to MTF :MTF_wel: I just noticed you are a brand new member:fing32::fing32:

We had a one day winter thaw yesterday so I rolled my newly acquired '96 out and gave it a good power washing in the driveway. Previous owner took great pride in his yard but unfortunately the Walker just kept getting parked back in the shed as is. At least he did keep it indoors. Also stripped both decks and now need some warmer weather to paint the replacement.

Have since learned the wider wheels will bolt right up in place of the narrow one and learned from reading brochures they were even a recommended option with the 42" deck. The parts book left me somewhat confused but I now see the spacers are only needed if I want to use tire chains.

So what can you tell me about your experiences with Walkers, good and bad ? So far I really like what I see as a mechanic. Looks nicely set up and easy to work on.
Have you had any component failures or things I should be watching out for ?

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Larry, I bought my first a 98 MT with a 20ho kohler and a 52" side discharge deck several years ago as I was forced into an early retirement and deciede to start a small lawncare business. That mower is still working today and along the way I've added a MTGHS 26EFI unit and another MT SD with a 48" deck + a walk behind. I love the cut and the fact that I can change decks. They are also great and cutting close to trees and very meneuverable which cuts down on trimming time. Over all I've had some engine problems but mostly do to age or buying old cheaper equipment and then using them hard. The biggest problem seems to be finding a dealer that can service engines quickly so I bought additional machines as my method of having back ups when another is in need of service. The only real problems have been drive shafts and a the PTO gearbox on the deck which is I think caused by the drive shaft problems. My side discharge units (52") are not lift up decks and as such they have the square driveshafts and they seem to get sloppy and cause vibration and damage so I've been upgrading to the spioned shafts and so far it seems to be a good move. I use the Walker site to download manuels and then order the parts as i need them and I've some good deals on blades through ebay. Overall I am really pleased with the Walkers.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Robjon, sounds like you have become a Walker collector. That in itself and the fact you are earning a living on these machines says a lot for them.

In scanning the Walker site, I see they offer 24 or 26 different decks, all different sizes and purposes. They are really dedicated to supplying the industry with exactly what they need. I am retired as well and getting too old to lay on the driveway scraping so the flip up deck was a real selling point to me.

Both my decks have the older square drive shafts but both shafts appear to be in good condition. The better of the two decks had the 3 independent gear boxes and I hope to keep them as spares. The rusted deck had the one piece gear box assembly and I plan to put it on that better deck once it is repainted. The seller also told me a parts kit became available to convert the 3 piece set into a one piece assembly.

I was lucky enough to get hard copies of both the owner's and parts manuals with this machine but would really like to download a pdf copy of the shop/service manual if one is available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't seen an actual service manuel but the on=wners manuels seem to have pretty complete info as far as regular service. After that it has just been looking and figuring out and then working on a repair. Luckily I haven/t had much repair on the tractors just engine maintenance and of course simple things belts and such. The other plus for me is that i have several tractors that are all the same (MT models) so I can compare things between them. Anyways I think you'll like the mower and once you get used to driving it, it is a blast to mow with.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't seen an actual service manuel but the on=wners manuels seem to have pretty complete info as far as regular service. After that it has just been looking and figuring out and then working on a repair. Luckily I haven/t had much repair on the tractors just engine maintenance and of course simple things belts and such. The other plus for me is that i have several tractors that are all the same (MT models) so I can compare things between them. Anyways I think you'll like the mower and once you get used to driving it, it is a blast to mow with.
You are right, the owner's manual is pretty thorough and having more than one is really handy when you want to compare funny sounds or see how something goes back together when it has been apart for awhile.

With the deck now off, I drove it up onto my oil change ramps and then levelled off the third wheel. Gave me better access and allowed me to drop the blower assembly out the bottom to change the bearings.

A real lack of annual cleaning is becoming a regular finding on this machine, as the grass had jammed between the frame and blower housing, rotting out the back of the housing. Hmmmmmm......Wish I had my welder hooked up. see pics below.

. walker mower repairs & tech 10hp 052.JPG walker mower repairs & tech 10hp 089.JPG
. walker mower repairs & tech 10hp 044.JPG walker mower repairs & tech 10hp 002.JPG
. walker mower repairs & tech 10hp 004.JPG walker mower repairs & tech 10hp 006.JPG

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,704 Posts
What?!?! Your Z-Turn has a SOD CUTTER, Larry? That's tres cool! I sure wouldn't mind that! I did our massive front weed bed-er-lawn 6 or 7 years back with a walk-behind sod cutter, and while it was the most fun I'd ever had for $60 bucks, that thing was a bugger to navigate! And since we went down a good 4" to try to get as many roots as possible, the recommended 2'x6' strips weighed A LOT. I wound up cutting into 2x2 squares, just so I could lift them... Could have used a loader then too! :sidelaugh

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
What?!?! Your Z-Turn has a SOD CUTTER, Larry? That's tres cool! I sure wouldn't mind that! I did our massive front weed bed-er-lawn 6 or 7 years back with a walk-behind sod cutter, and while it was the most fun I'd ever had for $60 bucks, that thing was a bugger to navigate! And since we went down a good 4" to try to get as many roots as possible, the recommended 2'x6' strips weighed A LOT. I wound up cutting into 2x2 squares, just so I could lift them... Could have used a loader then too! :sidelaugh
LTG, Whoa Momma.....The ZTR did come with a dethatcher out front, but no sod cutter. :hide: At least not attached, but I do have one in the next shed. That's a Brouwer that cuts 14" wide by how ever long you feel like carrying. I usually do about 10 foot lengths. It has no automatic cut off or roll so I just keep cutting then chop the strips up in rollable lengths with a square nose spade. Only goes about 1.5" thick so if I want to lower a high area I just make a second or third pass.

That is probably a more modern machine you rented as some of the sod you see for sale here is now 2'x2' and stacked flat, not rolled. Probably had something to do with ergonomics and bad backs for the green side up gang.

If you want to see some cool sodding, check out the videos on the commercial sod units. They cut and roll 4' wide and the size of a round hay bale. All by machine of course but man can they unroll and lay a big area in a hurry.

EDIT: found it

just as easy putting it back down.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts