My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me some background info. on this saw, The year?
Found this laying in the trash a few days ago I cant believe that it ran when I tried it! Its also VERY heavy. I'm guessing 70's
Thanks , Brian (not my actual saw, got the pic on the web havent took one of mine yet)

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
Found a page for you. According to this site production started in 1964 and ceased in 1988.

Homelite XL-12 Profile

I would say that the blue ones are 60's and 70's.

EDIT:

I just found some more info that says the early ones were red and green and the later ones were blue.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
From what I read from an old thread on the arborist's forum, they can bring as much as $300, but I have no way to confirm that.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks for the info I wont sell it any time soon though. I seemed to get attached to It. I Just like the way it is made and looks. I'll keep it and put in the collection of mine.
-Thanks, Brian

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
my grandpa had one of those saws the thing would cut through just about anything but the cylinder and piston wore out and it would lock up if you turned it side ways to cut a stump and yeah that thing was heavy it weighed more than my 20 inch craftsman and his only was a 16 inch blade

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
My Homelite C-52 (circa 1967) looks nearly identical to that saw..I have refused 100 bucks cash for it several times,and it currently needs a fuel line and tinkering to run!..
I've been told its worth more,but I keep it for sentimental reasons more than anything..but if I had to cut a tree up,I could jerry rig a weed-whacker gas tank to it and she'd fire right up and run,I'm sure..that saw will cut any tree you can hold it against,but it IS a heavy mother!..

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a brush cutter built on that Homelite XL 12 for 5 bucks at a yard sale.I got it running but took 2 men and a boy to pack it around.I gave it to a tool museum.
Ron

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
They are great saws IMO .. I still use one like it .. but mine are SXLs

The main difference is ( I Think ) is the one you have is a manual oil saw .. and the SXLs are manual and automatic.

I have 5 ?? SXLs .. my first one was bought new in 1983 for $395.00 .. I still have the receipt for it somewhere

I would go up against any new saw with that old Homelite.. they made them for MANY years and they were one of the best

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have a Stihl MS 310. My neighbor has an old red Homelite similar to yours. That darn saw of his can keep up with my Stihl! He does run it a bit on the heavy side with the oil/gas mix. But we aren't bothered much with 'squitos, either! That darn saw of his is quick to start at 20*s as it is at 80*!

·
Super Moderator
32,482 Posts
I have a superXL automatic thats almost a twin to that, but red. I belive Ken is correct. Some were auto oiler, some were not. I know mine i a AWSOME saw!!! You get a workout using it, but it cuts, and cuts!!!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My father bought me the same saw in the mid 70's, desperate heavy, it would get hot cutting hardwood and the gas would boil out, it did however work well, no safety brake and desperate heavy.....wish I still had it in a way just to mount on the garage wall.

·
an effin canadian
549 Posts
I've got one, but it's red & green, although the shape is nearly identical. it may as well be a thousand pounds by the time you've used it for an hour. love that thumb oiler too.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Dad bought one of those new in '73. My sister found the sales receipt for it in all of the folks' estate paperwork. The receipt states it was a sales promotion and came with 4 pints of Homelite oil. $92 plus sales tax. I know four boys got some wood felling lessons on that old girl! My youngest brother still has it and uses it on occasion.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Great saw! Ive got 2 of them a red one and the blue. Had them for many years , picked them up at a flea market in Rutledge Missouri, Both needed cleaned up but both run great and are still in use today. I`ve also gpt a few C-5 and C-7 Homelites Just about like carrying around a Small block Chevy , but man will they cut!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
those are great old saws. As for being worth $300. Only if the buyer is a lunatic. I've ebayed off several of those, in that shape, and slighlty uglier. Never got more than $80 for one. Most in the $40 to $50 range.

It's a fantastic firewood saw. Lots of old school torque. No antivibe, so the vibrations getto you after 6 hours of cutting wood. Good tough old saws tho, back when homelite built an item to be proud of.

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
I've got one of those saws from my dad. I have always heated with wood and it's the only saw that I have used for over 30 years. Farm grade, Big motor, good power, 3/8" pitch chain, very few problems in all that time. The later red superxl's are almost identical. Brother has a 1978 red one. If mine ever became unusable I'd look for another exactly like it. Not for 300 though, a really nice one can't be worth more than 100. at least to me anyway. They must of made a million of them. Common around here in Maine. I've always used 16:1 mix. Thick I know but lots of chains and several bars later it never fouled a plug and still has super compression.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts