My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hope this is going in on the right thread. i have a really old plow that use to be my grandpas that i want to hook up behind my 1946 willys jeep they for an antique tractor show. they use to market these jeeps as tractors and i would like to be able to plow with it on the working farm day of the show. what i need to find out if this was a trip plow. as of now it has an hook up for a cylinder but my uncle thinks he remembers his dad using it as a trip plow when he was a kid. i will be trying to post a few pictures on here. thanks in advance everybody dave
i really hope this works. :praying:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
If that was originally a trip plow there have been a lot of parts removed when it was converted to the hydraulics. The pictures were not very good on my screen but when I blew them up it appears as if the furrow wheel is missing the gearbox and lift linkage. Better pictures or a better computer on my end may help.

Probably someone else will be able to give a better opinion.

Mike

Edit:

I forgot to mention, the only time I saw a Jeep being used to plow it was pulling a single bottom. Don't know what size but would guess a 14 or 16 inch.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you tencubed. this is kinda of my fear that i have the wrong plow to do what i want to do with it. i was really hoping to use my grandpas old plow but it is starting to look like it wont happen. as far as the jeep goes the vidieos and pictures i have always seen them pulling 2 bottom plows. and this includes what i have in my collection for the old jeep. the jeep has what they call a suit case weight that goes right behind the front bumper that weighs closeto 273 pounds. then add in the 4 wheel drive which has 5:38 gears. not trying to bash your repost for me and i really hope this dont sound like i am. i will try to get better pictures tommorow of the plow. thank you again dave

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Better and larger pictures of the wheels would tell us the story..

BTW.. Got any pics of your willys? I have a 1966cj6 that i bought from the original owner.. it came with the option book from willys that shows the trenchers and all the other goodies you could add to a jeep.. A friend of mine that is also on this forum has a old Willys..

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
thank you tencubed. this is kinda of my fear that i have the wrong plow to do what i want to do with it. i was really hoping to use my grandpas old plow but it is starting to look like it wont happen. as far as the jeep goes the vidieos and pictures i have always seen them pulling 2 bottom plows. and this includes what i have in my collection for the old jeep. the jeep has what they call a suit case weight that goes right behind the front bumper that weighs closeto 273 pounds. then add in the 4 wheel drive which has 5:38 gears. not trying to bash your repost for me and i really hope this dont sound like i am. i will try to get better pictures tommorow of the plow. thank you again dave
Oh, your not doing any bashing. I was just posting what I had seen. We have some neighbors that have been friends for a few generations and old "HIPPO", as he was known, had one of the WWII Jeeps. He was cruel to that machine and it stood up to it for a lot of years. He's the one I saw pulling a plow. Had some kind of three point looking hitch on the Jeep that he used with a blade as well. He also pulled a hay rake and harrow from time to time. Said the Jeep was more comfortable and faster than his little tractor.

Don't think he had any weight on the front but Hippo came by his name kind of natural like so he probably didn't need any extra steel weights.

We had a Jeep of that ere for a number of years. "Old Blue" came by her name not from her color but from the haze she left in her wake. But that's a whole different story.

Like to see some pictures of yours if you get a chance, those were some tough machines.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for those who asked to see the jeep. it is a 46 willys jeep has a column shift {3 on tree} there was only like 29 thousand of these made.it has the l 134 motoe that produces 60 hp at 4000 rpm and it has 5 38 gears to push it on its way. i installed a pto driven 8000 pound ramesy winch and its hooked up and does work. everything is origanal on jeep except tires rims and the roll bar and its there for a safety feature. its not show quality but still in very decent shape jeep.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
The one we had looked like that but was floor shift. Yours looks to be in good shape. Sure brings back some memories.

As I said before, those were some mighty tough little trucks.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you i do have fun with mine.i have a 12 yr old boy that says i dont own it he does so i reckon he gets it after i am done playing with it, but that maybe a while :thThumbsU

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Thats a sweet little jeep.. I sure like em.. BTW the three point hitch was a option for those.. as is a rear belt drive for running other equipment all run off a rear pto out put..

Anyhow.. Nice ole jeep you have there..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts