My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was giving this plough from an elderly woman who lost her husband 15-20 years ago. She said it was used on a Sear GT16 (which I also got), but I don't see how.

How was this connected to a tractor? Any pictures? I guess that handle adjusts the depth, so probably the height of the hitch on the tractor is crittical.

Any information about it would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I would guess you need a sleeve hitch to use the plow. It may have part of a walk-behind hitch on it.
Dave

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes you need a sleeve hitch to use that plow. If you didn't get it with the tractor, maybe it's still around the woman's property somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks;
I can see that it would probably fit on a sleeve hitch, but when you lift it out of the ground, wouldn't it flop all over? And. the two bars going up at 45 deg above the disc (ya, I know the disc has a name, can't remember right now), how are they connected.

regards

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Pic has me interested. Any casting numbers or names in the cast Iron of the frame?

The disc is a coulter, cuts sod, roots vines so they do not wrap around the beam (frame).

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Found these pictures:

http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1959/700_plow_pg4.jpg

on this site:

http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1959/attachments.htm

The two metal tabs sticking up above the coulter disc, could be for a top link connection? Something similar to the Simplicity Tractor plow pic in the above links. :dunno:

Looks very similar to me, Kinda hard to see your pic, dark.

Here's a link for an adapter hitch drawing for the Simplicity tractor:

http://www.simpletractors.com/images/the_hitch.jpg

May give you some ideas how to adapt your plow to your tractor.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think it was made, or adapted, to work with a sleeve hitch. But it would not hook to a sleeve hitch the way it's currently set up. From the picture, it looks like someone put the draw bar assembly on wrong. I think the side that's currently connected to the end of the plow with the pin is what's actually supposed to fit over the sleeve hitch on a tractor, and the currently free side is what's supposed to be connected to the end of the plow. It looks like the space between the "pipes" on that side is the same as the "pipe" on the end of the plow; and it's certainly not big enough to fit over a sleeve hitch.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
That was a plow for horses you can see the braces for the plow handles right above the coulter. The hitch on the end I haven't seen. They usually have a piece on the end with around 6 holes to attach a clevis for the singletree. It could be cut off and adapted to a sleeve hitch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts