My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a semi-retired man with many acres of beetle killed trees on my property.

I have a Kubota B3300 SU with a Wallenstein BXM42 chipper which runs off the PTO.

I'm not new to turning dead trees into firewood, but I am new to online forums.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
:Welcome: Good to have you. Wish I had a lot of fire wood. Enjoy your time here on MTF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:Welcome: Good to have you. Wish I had a lot of fire wood. Enjoy your time here on MTF.
I could make you a screaming deal on firewood right now if you wanted to come and pick it up. (insert "no, I'm not serious" appropriate smiley face here)

I have nearly 20 cords of ponderosa (not great firewood) and doug fir (the best we have in my area) stacked on pallets around my house. I typically burn about 6 cords per winter. I'll be dropping more trees during the winter, so that pile will only increase.

I'm considering buying a log splitter. In the past I've rented one for $85/day. This year I had a lot of very young and strong help and we split 15 cords in one day with the rental. I'd rather not do a marathon like that again.

I don't have any indoor garage space for the splitter so it would be stored on a pallet and covered when not in use. I'm considering buying one that will run off my quick-coupled hydraulics as it was attached to the 3 PH on my Kubota 3300 SU. I've seen some really great tractor-hydraulics splitters but they are all in the $1000 range. I can rent once or twice/year for a lot of years for that much.

Any suggestions would be happily accepted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts