My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
32:1 is best
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it still good to use or no? I want to use the oil then clean it out and use it to hold my pencils and pens in the shop.

·
2,476 Posts
I'd run it... if you're worried empty 'em into a bigger container of fresh oil and mix it up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
They're in sealed cans. And it's not like ethanol gasoline. Nothing to go bad in them. I'd use them and not think twice about it

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
I would shake them vigorously prior to opening them, and perhaps even stir them a bit after opening, just to make sure nothings settled out of the oil.

·
5,413 Posts
I am still using up a bunch of the old Lawnboy oil in cans. Should be no problem. Use and enjoy! Bill

·
5,413 Posts
Well that is a good point. Seems the price of these unopened ones keeps going up. I am keeping one 4 pack unopened for nostalgia. Bill

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you’re going to use that old oil in your Tecumseh TVXL, then I’m coming down to KY and taking that beast away from you!!:p

L8R,
Matt

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,898 Posts
Oh that old oil is still good for sure, I've been using antique oil like that for years. One thing though, and you probably already know, make sure to add an ethanol stabilizer since they didn't include that back in the day when we had real gasoline. One other thing to, for the 2 strokes I like to use the highest octane available at the pumps, not for the octane rating, just the simple fact that there should be less ethanol in the fuel. I tested the pumps around here and the 91 octane test showed less than half of the ethanol contained in the 87 octane fuel.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for not replying sooner been busy with life but yeah i will use it in my tecumseh it specs ashless oil as well so it shouldn't be a problem. I do buy 90 octane most of the time anymore due to convenience at my local station it is ethanol free and i don't use any additives.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you’re going to use that old oil in your Tecumseh TVXL, then I’m coming down to KY and taking that beast away from you!!:p

L8R,
Matt
I will use it at 32:1 in my Tecumseh Matt and it will like it because the contents have already been mixed with a big bottle of Pennzoil outdoor i got today.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh that old oil is still good for sure, I've been using antique oil like that for years. One thing though, and you probably already know, make sure to add an ethanol stabilizer since they didn't include that back in the day when we had real gasoline. One other thing to, for the 2 strokes I like to use the highest octane available at the pumps, not for the octane rating, just the simple fact that there should be less ethanol in the fuel. I tested the pumps around here and the 91 octane test showed less than half of the ethanol contained in the 87 octane fuel.
I use 90 octane ethanol free so no problems there and i only mix 1-1/4 of a gallon at a time anyway.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I will use it at 32:1 in my Tecumseh Matt and it will like it because the contents have already been mixed with a big bottle of Pennzoil outdoor i got today.
What did you spend on that Outdoor? My local Walmart has the Pennzoil XLF 2 stroke for just under $18/gal. Still love that video you sent. That Tecumseh just sounds like an animal!

L8R,
Matt

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did you spend on that Outdoor? My local Walmart has the Pennzoil XLF 2 stroke for just under $18/gal. Still love that video you sent. That Tecumseh just sounds like an animal!

L8R,
Matt
At Walmart Matt same price as XLF might have been a little cheaper.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Use it. How long was it in the ground before it was put in a green can? Will probably smoke like a cheap cigar, but it's got the spec the Lawn Boy people use. And it's already paid for, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts