1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
Here is an interesting article about the come back of older JD's that are considered to be superior to new ones for cost and easier to repair. This article is about the larger farming tractors but our smaller ones can be said the same of. Here is the link to the article.
Yeah that's the Problem with JD software Deere doesn't sell a licenses so the average Farmer can do repairs themselves. The farmer could actual replace the Part Himself But he would still need a dealer Because it has to be shown In the software as replaced To Me it's BS I Under stand the Ukrainian Hacks. Which I would Buy if I needed a Deere Modern ROW crop eventually Deere will be force to sell a Licenses once it finishes in the Courts. Some states Like Nebraska have passed laws that Deere has to Provide a Licenses for Ma & Pa Kettle to fix there own $150,000 dollar tractor. That the one place I feel Deere is to greedy and yet Deere Is not Making money on the repairs the dealers our. So You would think Deere would want to Make Money selling Licenses on there Software to the Ma & Pa shops(y)

·
Parts collector
2,996 Posts
I grew up on a farm in 72-82, running a JD 3020 trike, a 4000, and a 4020. I think my uncle still has them all. Me being 7-14 I thought they were awesome tractors for the 1000 acres we had to farm. The 4020 was a beast, the 4000 had dual wheels on for discing and plowing and man would it just would go. The 3020 was the cutter, bailer, and poop spreader. "when" my wife and I get our 30 acres up north I will be looking for a 3020 but not a trike. They all had the shuttle shift on the fly trans in them, thus the reason a 7 year old could drive them. 😁 The farmall was not kid friendly with that hard clutch and the shifter in your privates when you stood up to push the clutch in. :ROFLMAO: I love the 70 to 80 JD tractors. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was what i needed for the right price.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Dont think trikes had 4 wheels. We use to call 4 wheel tractors row crops. Yes they made many models with 3 wheels that were considered trikes.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Another reason farmers are going for the older tractors is even if they had the software to diagnose a problem all the repair boards and computer controls will cost an arm and leg. I remember back in the day 70's and 80's we could work on our vehicles now we have to take them to a dealer with a high shop rate and high priced repair parts

·
Super Moderator
26,914 Posts
I remember helping my father rebuild the engine on the Allis Chalmers WD 45 right in the garage. I doubt any normal owner could repair a Tier 4 compliant tractor nowadays without violating the current law. Too much specialized test equipment and diagnostic software required.

·
Parts collector
2,996 Posts
Dont think trikes had 4 wheels. We use to call 4 wheel tractors row crops. Yes they made many models with 3 wheels that were considered trikes.
I called it a trike because it had 2 tires up front right next to each other and looked like a trike. LOL....... Yes I know "someone" made tractors with only 3 tires. A "row cropper" to me was one that had the adjustable front axle so you could set the tires for the width of your crop rows, the rear tires were always adjustable.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still remember using the big old belt pulley on the old 2 cylinder JD's to operate other items. Can you imagine the lawsuits today because of the danger that we all took for granted back then? Think of all the turning things that did not have covers on them! How did we survive?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Here is an interesting article about the come back of older JD's that are considered to be superior to new ones for cost and easier to repair. This article is about the larger farming tractors but our smaller ones can be said the same of. Here is the link to the article.
This is just one part of the "right to repair" legislation going on in many states and in Europe, too. Why shouldn't we be able to repair our own equipment? The legislation covers everything from electronics like your cell phones to farm equipment. Europe does appear to be further ahead in removing the 'planned obsolescence' of a products lifetime.
Sadly, many of the major manufacturers are totally against this. Apple, Microsoft and John Deere are only some that present lobby money to our politicians to kill before it ever reaches the floor.

·
close enuff works for me
2,971 Posts
It's not just tractors that are being rebuilt.My friend Andy is a diesel mechanic and his customers are bringing in 15 year old semi tractors and spending 40 to 50 thousand dollars to completely rebuild the truck . The brand new computer controlled semi's are getting to be such a hassle with all the safety ,and emission crap they are out of service more than an old rebuilt truck.

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
I called it a trike because it had 2 tires up front right next to each other and looked like a trike. LOL....... Yes I know "someone" made tractors with only 3 tires. A "row cropper" to me was one that had the adjustable front axle so you could set the tires for the width of your crop rows, the rear tires were always adjustable.
Deere Calls them Narrow Fronts (y)
I grew up with a 3020 Narrow front & that was the Loader Tractor :)

·
Parts collector
2,996 Posts
Deere Calls them Narrow Fronts (y)
I grew up with a 3020 Narrow front & that was the Loader Tractor :)

How in the heck did they put a FEL on a "narrow front" tractor and expect it on to flip over?

·
Parts collector
2,996 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
How in the heck did they put a FEL on a "narrow front" tractor and expect it on to flip over?
Never had a Issue The Previous Loader Tractor On the Farm was a Model A styled Narrow front. It was Very common to Put Loaders On Narrow front Tractors. Only if your careless! You might have a issue But we were Never careless Only standard front we Had was a JD 4000. Great Uncle Didn't Use Much chemical weed control. So he cultivated Crops So he Needed for a 3020 Narrow which Had a JD 45 Farm Loader The tractor was Bought new the with a Loader the Year I was Born. But I see there always some careless people out there that tip there Narrow fronts :)

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
That's all dad had was narrow fronts. As did most of the neighbors. Did not know tipping one over ways a problem. But then there has always been stupid.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Any tractor will turn over when put in a risky position! I too, grew up on JD narrow front tractors, some with loaders. We never turned one over, safety first!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,207 Posts
The trend for older equipment has been many years in the making. I think the demographics of the buyers is pretty important to discuss. Older machines generally go to an operation more tilted toward livestock and not row crop.

We also have to remember that a lot famers, and even more so row crop farmers, are hurting at the moment. Low commodity prices coupled with crappy weather for the last couple years have left a major mark. To the point that a majority of Midwest states have mental health or suicide prevention hotlines for farmers. That is not the type of environment that lends itself to new machine purchases.

I did have to smile at the $150,00-250,000 for a new tractor..... the MSRP of the smallest 7R series is $250,000.... and only smaller operations are going to drop down to a 6 series for row crop farming. I think the 150-250k mentioned is more realistic for the newer used market. Just a thought.

Strictly speaking to the technology. I don’t have an opinion one way or another about licenses for working on them. I see it both ways. You have the demand from farmers for more productivity and the government dictating emission on one side and you have your customer wanting to modify it on the other.....

Trucking tractors back to the dealership... My dealer doesn’t even pick up my tiny 4066R for any work... I park it in the driveway and they come work on it right there. The only time tractors show up at the dealer is when they have to replace or move large components like cabs etc. At least that is the case here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts