My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 842 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go with another restore! I am taking Waltz tips to heart with this one. Thanks Waltz! http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=621513&goto=newpost
Many good tips, and a great restore and excellent garage to boot.
Some of you may have seen my original post where I found the Roper and brought her home http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=697569, I have since named Her, and started checking Her out.

Deck removed and soaked in PB, Stored for now. It is pretty rusted and the belt cover will need a lot of TLC. The outer mandrills are froze, I pumped them full of grease. I'll come back to this later. Checked the oil, full and clean, Air filter is present but will need replaced, Battery won't take a charge. Looking through the brochures and I will stick with the original colors, not sure about the hub caps. Neighbor said he can help with the decals

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I need to bring some of the first pictures here. Roper 20T with a Snow Blower, Tire Chains, and all original manuals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Man that is a nice old machine Larry!

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am out of PB, and need to pick some up tomorrow. Hood and Grill are removed and separated. All the fasteners are bagged and labeled. Just sitting now studying the construction of the old Girl. They didn't skimp on the metal on this one. Transmission does shift, but sounds a little dry. I may try and source some mufflers and engine gasket kit, carb kit, and fuel pump kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about this last night, plus my Wife warned me that Christmas was coming up, so tractor money may have to wait till after the holidays. I think I'll attempt to get the engine running while at this stage of tear down. I'll leave the dash intact and try and free up the throttle and choke cables. The battery positive cable will need a new end installed, and I'll use BMP's 450cca battery as the original battery is dated 07 and won't take a charge, I can set up my clean test gas tank and hook it to the fuel pump. There is some serious rust through in the battery tray, I'll have to make a replacement for it at some point. I have been taking pictures of all the cable routings and wire connections. I do want to finish removing the drive belt (it is the largest belt I have seen to date) and a few more shields around the engine before I attempt to crank it. I only want to see it run long enough to listen, look, feel, and see for any issues before I remove the engine. Depending on how my other chores go today I might be able to make this happen this evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I do the same thing, no matter what it is I make sure I can at least run it and even better drive is around, before I start restoration

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prep for a first start

I finished my chores early thanks to the extra hour today. I started with removing the frozen throttle cable, I guess it was getting bad based on the damage to the dash. I think I can repair this. Next I pulled the plugs, both look good and are the same type. I then fixed the + battery terminal. I drained and removed the Gas tank, the gas smelled like varnish. I installed my clean test tank and filled it with fresh gas which has been treated. I removed the drive belt and found the clutch pedal was detached from the clutch bracket. (Glad I removed the belt). Pulled the battery from the BMP and installed, hooked up the battery charger on trickle. Got the other Fire Extinguisher from the old shop, Checked the safeties and verified the key switch worked by bumping the starter (It turned over 1/4 to 1/2 turn) I'm exited now! Freed up the throttle cable and re-attached. All I am waiting on now is the video camera to charge so I can film this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Bet she fired up!!

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:dancingpa:dancingpa; I didn't have the throttle cable set properly other wise it would have started easier. Mission accomplished! It seems to run good (I'll post a second video where the throttle cable is adjusted) Lot of work ahead but I know the engine will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds real good Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Man it sounds real good! You did real good buying a strong engine!!

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was the YouTube post for the preparation of starting. Took a little longer to publish, but completes the process. Now the real work begins. Complete disassembly, evaluation, and parts gathering.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Father Deerest
2,716 Posts
Is that restore posted any where? Parts sources? Any help will be appreciated! Wow that looks great!
I wanted the motor for another project but it wasn't going to work. I started with a cutter wax on one of the fenders and it started to clean up really nice so I put kept it together and sold it. The fenders looked like the foot rests. I regret getting rid of that one.
Roper 20T (1).JPG

Roper 20T (6).JPG
The tins when pulled off.

Roper 20T (7).JPG
The cylinder head with tins off.

Roper 20T 2 (4).JPG

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! The good old 20T !

I think I found a really old picture of it !!!

1 - 20 of 842 Posts