My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ford 240 i6 has an oil prob, it is only getting oil at a few of the rockers,not all of them. we have tryed switching the good ones(rockers and push rods) to the bad spots, we replaced the oil pump and we got 2 new push rods and rockers and it isnt fixed.

also how much oil is supposed to be getting to the rockers?

i wanna get it fixed so it can come to my place and i can start on the interior, please help!

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Assuming this has shaft-type rockers, remove the assembly and find out which stanchion feeds the shaft. Remove it from the shaft and make sure its passage is clear. Next, with the rocker shaft assembly removed, crank the engine and verify that oil is being fed through the head. I had a similar problem on a 105 Schramm engine and all it was was a little debris in the stanchion that feeds the rocker shaft.

·
Super Moderator
32,161 Posts
Hmmm... been a wile sence I have been in a 6 cyl, but I seem to remember these haveing stud mount rockers, and hollow pushrod, that are fed from the lifters. In case I would pul the pushrods first, and run a wire through them to make sure they are not plugged. If all is good, Im thinking the lifters might be plugged. Might have to pull the tappet covers off, and hae a looky see. As for how much oil?? Not a ton realy. Wile running you should have a light dribble like flow out of all the pushrods. At speed it will work up quite a oil mist up there.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Hmmm... been a wile sence I have been in a 6 cyl, but I seem to remember these haveing stud mount rockers, and hollow pushrod, that are fed from the lifters. In case I would pul the pushrods first, and run a wire through them to make sure they are not plugged. If all is good, Im thinking the lifters might be plugged. Might have to pull the tappet covers off, and hae a looky see. As for how much oil?? Not a ton realy. Wile running you should have a light dribble like flow out of all the pushrods. At speed it will work up quite a oil mist up there.

When I replaced valve cover gasket on my 79 F150 6 inline. I was curious how much oil it squirt while idle. I end turn off in 5 sec. It was shot oil about 8"

I would say it could be thick oil or it been sit for long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts