My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 285 about 18 years and last year I traded it for a new X520. Could someone tell me what is the equal of the X520 to older JD GT? I mean is the X520 the "same" as an older 200, 300, 400 series?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just curious - how does the x520 compare to the 285 in your opinion?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious - how does the x520 compare to the 285 in your opinion?
Ok You asked for it:

After having the 285 for 18 years I will not have anything but a JD. In 18 years of service I have only had to replace the ignition switch, seat safety switch, and blades.

The metal mower shut shield did get bent a little but never replaced it. I have never used the 285 for nothing more than mowing but want to do more with the 520.

The 285 hydrostatic drive was lever operarated on the fender. I thought I would not like the foot pedal hydrostatic drive but I quickly changed my mind on that.

The 285 did seem to feel like you slammed on the brake when you slowed the tractor to a stop, even when you slowed it to a crawl before you actual stopped it would throw your head forward. With the x520 it comes to a stop a lot smoother. Also the 285 seemed it would snap you neck when starting off in forward or reverse, but not so with the 520, it is very smooth starting forward and reverse.

The ride is a lot smoother.

Both where very comfortable.

The 520 feels larger and with the 520 I wish it had more seat travel for adjustment, but it still very comfortable. I am 6’2” and would like the seat to move back about one more inch. The 285 had tilt steering thought I would miss it, but I have not.

The engine seems quieter and smoother with the 520.
Both had the liquid cooled engine and that is the reason I went with the 285 over the 265 and the 520 over the 500.

The hood on the 285 seemed it vibrated on the console more than with the 520 and over 18 years of that it had rubbed the console some.

Tall grass did not slow down either model. The mower deck on the 285 was 48” and 520 is 54”, with that it takes less time in mowing my yard. The mower deck sounds quieter with the 520, but with the 285 after 18 years of mowing it may just be louder but at the same time both seemed quieter than plan old lawn mowers.

The plastic shut shield is an improvement over the metal one on the 285.

The plastic belt pulley cover is very quick to remove for cleaning mowing deck on the 520.

The mower deck on the 285 was easy and fairly quick to drop and remove; I have not removed the mower deck on the 520 yet but feel it will be just as easy.

The 520 has the HDAP tires and I had the tractor tires on the 285. Both performed the same except for going downhill.

My yard is 1.75 acres. It is gently sloped to the road, but at the road it drops about 15’ with about a 40 degree incline. Both had no problems going UP it. (Tractor tires on the 285 really helped here) I may have had to use the Foot-operated traction assist lock on the 520 2 times on the slope in the two season of mowing the hill.
Going down the incline the 520 really outperformed the 285. With the 285 many times going down the incline I would get half way down and I would move the speed lever into the stop position and the tires on the 285 would just slide down the hill and the 285 would pick up speed for the last few feet of the hill. Also I would have to actual press the brake on the 285 going down the hill. With the 520 it would maintain control down the hill and the tires never slid and I never had to let off the drive and/or press the brake and it has never lost control going down, it maintained the speed and controlled the tractor very well going down the incline (very impressed in this when compared to the 285.

The 520 steering is effortlessly and the with turning radius I have no complaints.

I can not see anything I don’t like about the 520 as a matter of fact I had no complaints with the 285. With that I guess that is why I went back with another JD.

I do want to get into more ground breaking with the 520. I am researching in how to make my own electric sleeve hitch for it but I cant find any designs for a 520. I cant design anything so I need plans or something to look at if I plan on making my on for the 520. Then I can possible purchase a box scrape and rotary tiller for it.

I hope this answers your question.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I do want to get into more ground breaking with the 520. I am researching in how to make my own electric sleeve hitch for it but I cant find any designs for a 520. I cant design anything so I need plans or something to look at if I plan on making my on for the 520. Then I can possible purchase a box scrape and rotary tiller for it.

tbolt2000,

Congrats on your new X520. I am quite sure you will be more than pleased with the ground engaging capabilities of your x520. :thThumbsU My x500 has not disappointed me yet. If you are looking for an electric sleeve hitch you might want to check out these made by Steve. He has a well thought out design and a they are a well manufactured unit.
http://hayes-ent.com/hitch/

You might also want to look at a jbjr for your x520. I no longer think mine is an attachment since I can't remember the last time I took it off.:D It has truly been a back saver, heavy lifter, and a third hand at times.
http://www.johnnyproducts.com/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted a question if I made a sleeve hitch based on this drawing if it would fit the x520. A reply said it would not work. I measured the outside dimensions of the back plate on the tractor and it measured 13 5/8 OD. If you look at the drawing the dimension is the same for the side plates.

I found the drawing at the weekend freedom machines so I thought I could make this one using this drawing.
I do like the Hayes-ent hitch but if I could make one and save some bucks by making it myself then I could get the attachments a lot sooner. Granted I only measure that one point but if it that dimension will work then most of the others should work, should they not?

If it would in fact work, once I have it built I could figure out the electric lift with some pictures of other electric hitchs.

Any thoughts about the cost of making one and buying a Hynes-ent?

Thanks

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great review comparison for the 2 tractors. Just curious did you ever need to replace a water pump or have any related problems on the liquid cooled 285? slkpk

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I do like the Hayes-ent hitch but if I could make one and save some bucks by making it myself then I could get the attachments a lot sooner. Granted I only measure that one point but if it that dimension will work then most of the others should work, should they not?

If it would in fact work, once I have it built I could figure out the electric lift with some pictures of other electric hitchs.

Any thoughts about the cost of making one and buying a Hynes-ent?

Thanks

I am all about saving $$$, especially my own...:ROF So I say give it shot. Try building it, I am quite sure it will be cheaper, especially if you visit your local salvage/recyler and get the metal from there. Plus you can build it to your own specs, strengths, and such.

I didn't go with the electric sleeve hitch myself because I wanted a winch on my x500 and I decided that I could just add weight for the the down force without the loss of traction from lifting the tractor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great review comparison for the 2 tractors. Just curious did you ever need to replace a water pump or have any related problems on the liquid cooled 285? slkpk
Never did anything with the engine except just the regular service. The only problem we had with the engine was when we traded it. At the beginning of the cutting season it started skiping real bad and started leaking water. In looking at it it blowed a head gasket. My wife and took the hood etc. off and replaced the gaskets. Before putting the hood and cosmetic stuff back on we fired it up and it still skipped and looking closer at the engine I seen a crack in the head. So we buttoned her up and traded it for the 520.

I love my 520. (Well my wife says it hers John Deere.) With that if I had found this site along with the Weekend Freedom Machine forums sooner I would have seriously thought about keepinng the 285. Because other that that happening at that time the condition of the 285 was very good. I even waxed it twice a year. :eek: Seeing all the restored JD's on these two sites I would have bought the 520 straight out and retored the other.

·
Registered
344 Posts
you still might be able to buy your old tractor back at a good price.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
:Welcome1:

if you can swing it i recommend buying the Deere integral hitch. the reason, it icomes off with 1 pull of a clip! i take mine off all the time to put my Tractor Trunk on or to pull my sprayer. with a home made hitch you will have to work around those type things or spend time removing it each time you don't need it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
:Welcome1:

if you can swing it i recommend buying the Deere integral hitch......
Called the dealer and wanting $320 for the SH. Seems Do you happen to have some pictures of the hitch on and off the GT. I would like to get a good idea of how it mounts and how it works. I could swing the cost of a Deere SH but in building on I thought I could intinaly do it as a manual lift but build it where I could convert it to electric very easly when funds are there.

But If I can get a some good large pictures of the Deere SH I may be able to see if it would not be to diffcult to convert it to electric later.

Thanks for the reply very helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, You may have opened a can of worms for a lot of more questions. But I do want thank you for replying to my post. Called the dealer today he wants $320 not counting tax for a SH. I was hoping around $200 -$240. The plans that I have which is the drawing I posted earlier are different than yours. It has Plates as you can see that mount to the side of the mounting plate of the tractor.

In your opinion do you think it would be difficult to maybe convert it to electric using actuators from Johnny Bucket?

What attachments do you have and use and how to they perform?

I want to start a garden next year and want to see if the investment in SH and attachments will be worth it.

On the Sleeve Hitch what it the part that I have marked "1" used for?

Dont worry about "2" I see hot it is used with attachments.

Sorry for the questions but I have many more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts