My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
1,343 Posts
That's an old one there, the Ruston/Bucyrus. Looks like it has a 1 cu/yard bucket on it.
I grew up down the road from another smaller, actually the world's largest one, out in Southeast Ohio with a 220 cu/yard bucket.
Amazing watching it being built and operated, and being on it and inside of it. It was very quiet running from the outside, being electric powered with 63,000 H.P. under its hood. It was neat watching it 'Walk' its way around its work.
I guess 14,000 tons was a little bit too heavy to use 'Tracks'.

· Super Moderator
17,768 Posts
That looks somewhat familar--I worked for and retired from, a heavy highway/construction company that had two of the B/E models (later production than that picture--A 22B and a 30B--one old operator left-poor old Eddie Moore--he was the only guy left in 1990 when I went to work there, that that could still operate one--This was before the 'long-reach' excavators came into the picture. He was deaf as a fence post--with that screaming Detroit Engine right behind him-running WOT. Used both the drag bucket and a clam shell on it. I don't remember how much 'stick' or boom it carried--maybe 50 ft. I know it was a bear to transport--had to break down into about four pieces to move--and those old connecting pins were all bent and wallowed out from use. But - I'll tell you what--I watched ol' Eddie-sling good sized #2 Rip Rap rocks all along a creek bank on the opposite side from him with that drag bucket. Pretty as you please. And he never stopped that machine moving--it was always either loading from a pile or spinning thru the air. Back when real men did work....
No wonder he liked 'three fiingers' of strong whiskey in the evening when he finished up.

Darn--some of the useles trivia I remember--but I have been blessed--I met many/many characters in my working lifetime--made for some good stories.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

glenn== just another ol' phart with that useless trvia...

· Registered
1,844 Posts
That's an old one there, the Ruston/Bucyrus. Looks like it has a 1 cu/yard bucket on it.
I grew up down the road from another smaller, actually the world's largest one, out in Southeast Ohio with a 220 cu/yard bucket.
Amazing watching it being built and operated, and being on it and inside of it. It was very quiet running from the outside, being electric powered with 63,000 H.P. under its hood. It was neat watching it 'Walk' its way around its work.
I guess 14,000 tons was a little bit too heavy to use 'Tracks'.
bob means this one, shame it was scraped in 199
Water Sky Watercraft Crane Vehicle

· Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
1,343 Posts
The photo in the distance was about 1-1/2 to 2 miles away, the photo of people walking up to the boom was over a 1/4 mile away, some close-ups were a few hundred yards away.
If you look close, you will see people walking on, working on the boom. Another photo, there is a tractor trailer's trailer parked next to one of the shoes on the bottom of it, and a truck parked underneath it in another photo. Another photo, you can see 2 men standing on 1 of the walking shoes of it.

· Premium Member
70 Posts
Not trying to steal the show, but for any old farm boys on here, this is the first factory manure loader that I remember seeing, probably 52-54 ish. Not actually this one but the same model. Nieghbour had one , also mounted on a J D model B.
A few years back , I posted on another Tractor forum looking for information on what I could remember it looked like and in about 20 mins, I had a reply with pics from I believe Ohio, and this guy had a least one and I believe he had a second.

When I saw the drag line posting I couldn't resist.....

· Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Not trying to steal the show, but for any old farm boys on here, this is the first factory manure loader that I remember seeing, probably 52-54 ish. Not actually this one but the same model. Nieghbour had one , also mounted on a J D model B.
A few years back , I posted on another Tractor forum looking for information on what I could remember it looked like and in about 20 mins, I had a reply with pics from I believe Ohio, and this guy had a least one and I believe he had a second.

You do know there were horse drawn ones before that?

· Premium Member
70 Posts
You do know there were horse drawn ones before that?
Ariens, are you referring to the horse scoop, that had 2 handles on it, similiar to a wheel barrel with no wheel?? That is the only thing I can think of horse drawn for moving manure.

Or a team of horses pulling the manue spreader?? Still see a few of those in my part of the country??

Until recently , I had a Ferguson 3PTH model and also a Ford 3PTH model to use on my 2 Ferguson TEA20 (2085).

Dad had the horse drawn version of this scoop.

I also had the original version of the Ferguson loader, could supply a pic if there is in interest.

Attachments

· Registered
1,343 Posts

I remember using one of those already. We used to call it the '**** Slinger' from the way it tossed out the manure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts