My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,180 Posts
Thanks for link!!!
Great cars and they're not made like that anymore!

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,678 Posts
Thanks for that. Gas station/garage where I used to work, there were a lot of those owned by our customers; we saw a lot of them on a regular basis. In Small Town America, if you wanted to stand out a bit, you owned something like one of those. Never saw the Cad Biarritz, but we did have a guy with a '57 300C sedan. He got it because 'it had enough power to pull his trailer.' Yeah, hey, I guess SO! Same guy also had a '57 Willys station wagon that was in perfect condition, it was his go-to-the-lake car with his family. Usually those old Willys had cranky gearboxes, but that one was the sweetest one I ever drove!

The owner of the Colony Park (tan over wood) was a real jerk. You could never do anything right for him.

That place had a number of great stories; here's just one:

One of our guys (John) had a '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery, painted the same Army Green as the "Iroquois Eight" (Pontiac) and he was trying to restore it. He'd work late into the night after we closed up shop, and with us gone, he'd put the car in one of the bays and go to work on it. He'd work until he was too tired to stand up, then instead of driving home, he'd crawl in the back and go to sleep. Well, the suspension was squeaky, and all loose and sloppy, so it'd thump and clank and jingle at the least little movement...

The boss came in one Saturday morning after a serious Friday night bender, and the SLAM! of the front door woke up our guy who was sleeping in the Sedan Delivery. So John started groaning and moaning, turned over, and was thumping around insice the car, trying to get out. (The back doors were delivery doors, like clamshells, and they would stick closed.) Between the noises coming from him and the car, they both made an unholy racket... Moaning, groaning, clanking chains, gawdawful loud thumps and morning sounds...

Of course, this scares the bejeebers out of the hung-over boss, who ran outside. The shop manager (Charlie) showed up about five minutes later and found the boss outside, white as a sheet. In spite of being so hung-over, he was shaking, and said he was waiting for Charlie to come in so they could both go in and look for the GHOST!

I got to work a couple minutes after that; found Charlie outside (out of view of the boss), slapping his knees and laughing so hard he was crying. It was after the front door flew open and John came clumping out and laughing his head off that I finally got the whole story.:fing32:

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I love '50s and '60s heavy metal. My Dad was a Pontiac man, I grew up straddling the hump and hanging on to the back of the front seat (no kiddie car seats or seat belts in 1958) In our 1956 Pontiac Star Chief, and later in a '61 Bonneville.

Our little town has the old style courthouse square that the downtown centers around. Every August, we have an "Old Soldiers' Week", and the highlight is shutting down the streets one Saturday, and everyone within 100 miles hauls out their restoration to cruise and show off. Just about anything you can think of with four wheels that came out of Detroit from the '20s to the '70s will be there. Just a taste, lots more if you care to see:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Man i love the 50's and 60's caddilacs and the chryslers. Good old landyachts. I wasnt even around then! They are just cool looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts