My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have this question in one of my other threads, but thought it may get more attention here.

Have an old (1950s I think) Briggs four stroke which has been sitting for many years. Bought it with no points/flywheel etc, but fitted these off a spare motor I have which was a heavy smoker.

It has good spark, feels good compression wise (not super easy to pull over), is getting fuel to the carb, and the carb is clean (flo jet). have tried squirting fuel in the carb and in the cylinder but not even a cough out of it. Changed plug, keyway is fine.

Have another one the same which runs beautifully, would like to see if this old girl runs okay so I can decide to spruce it up or dump it..I'm hoping it will run okay with a couple of good oil changes.

Any ideas? Photo is of said offender..now has all parts fitted so it "should" run.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You're engine needs 4 things to run. Fuel, Compression, Air, and spark.

One of the first things I would check is for a stuck valve. It's common on these motors if they sit for awhile.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I don't want to sabotage your thread, but before you close it will you tell us about that thing the engine is on?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an old Morrison mower made in New Zealand in the late 1950s I think..thick steel, the inner rear wheel is that way so you can cut close to walls etc I would say. Has a steel catcher, and the knob on the body you turn to adjust height. All works apart from the engine. I have another one the same with a C-12 Iron Horse 2 cycle on it, photos in another thread of mine in the "walk behind mowers" area of the forum.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Calcommon, not flywheel etc as I have just fitted all that..will try to get the head off tomorrow, bit nervous about that as the bolts tend to break easily..if I can get the muffler off will be easier...thanks

·
Banned
271 Posts
That is a neat looking old mower!!

I would say stuck valve as well, been there done that on the older Briggs. Put some good penetrating oil in there. Last one i unstuck i took off the muffler and soaked the exhaust valve then took off the carb and soaked the intake valve, let it sit a few days, spun it over a few times, soaked it some more, etc. After that was done and the valves were moving, verified with a compression tester, i put it all back together, changed the oil and it fired right up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ingersoll, you had it bang on! Something I never would have thought of, thank you very much.

Actually it started first pull with the right flywheel.

But...it smokes heavy. Have had it running fro over an hour, the first minute or so it was shooting out carbon and crap from the muffler. Not sure how long its sat in a barn, but 20 years or so at least I would say.

Have only turned it off twice in the last hour to change the oil twice. To me oil is cheap and at 600ml per time I'm happy "flushing" it out..plus in the past I have got mowers that smoked but stopped after a couple of good oil changes.

I'm hoping it will stop so I can clean it up, paint it and put it into service along with a couple of C-12s I have running well.

What do you guys think..is it smoking too much to be stopped with a few good oil changes? Putting new rings in is to be honest beyond my capability.

Have quick video of it here, also have another video in my channel with another motor the same I have running..took parts off that to get this one going.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ironhorsemal#p/u/0/1zagfc1JJzA

thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out of interest this is the second mower I got along with the four stroke, and old C-12 bricktop. No spark but cleaning and gapping of points sorted that. It has piece of wire for a plug lead, and no exhaust gasket left, but it runs okay, will be easy to bring it back up to scratch.

Both bodies fairly similar, heavy steel, Morrison brand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA6NyCVO6tk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts