My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. Been looking at a VERY clean 316, but it has the single cyl Kohler in it. Not sure if it would power my needs compared to the Onan twin 16hp. ??

022.jpg

023.JPG

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
you didn't say how much, but myself, I would prefer the older 316 with split brakes and H2 than the newer ones.:hide: The single Kohers have plenty of power.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$900.00 to much ?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If a 316 Onan is capable, so is a 316 Kohler. Has dual hydraulics and split brakes to boot.
Single cyl is a bit rough at lower rpm but has plenty of snort.

What are your needs ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know John Deere, I always had the Case/Ingersoll 446 etc... tractors..... So here asking questions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a 316 Onan is capable, so is a 316 Kohler. Has dual hydraulics and split brakes to boot.
Single cyl is a bit rough at lower rpm but has plenty of snort.

What are your needs ?

Just mowing my lawn, but more like a bumpy field LOL... 4 acres.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Is it green? Yes than yes you should buy :sidelaugh

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
They are very strong and capable tractors, don't underestimate them being single cylinders. The only thing I would check is the motor mounts, as they are often broken and expensive. The H2 is a little dissapointing, but much better than the H1 on a 316 Onan. Plus, you'll have steering steering brakes on a 316K.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
Also a lot of torque for mowing, the 16 singles are grumpy at idle. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it green? Yes than yes you should buy :sidelaugh
LOL.... Now that was good !! I Ask because today I borrowed my friends 316 with a twin Onan... Thing is a freaking bear !!! But not as nice looking as the one for sale. Just don't want to buy it and then not have the Onan power like my friends has.

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
get it, looks great! has a lot of life left in it! I had a 300 years ago, ( same tractor ) only tractor I miss

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are very strong and capable tractors, don't underestimate them being single cylinders. The only thing I would check is the motor mounts, as they are often broken and expensive. The H2 is a little dissapointing, but much better than the H1 on a 316 Onan. Plus, you'll have steering steering brakes on a 316K.
What does H1, H2 mean?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I'd give it consideration, but honestly -for 4 acres of mowing, I'd look for something bigger like a 420 430 445 455 x4xx, x7xx size machine. If it's just mowing, zero turn would be my first choice but if it's as rough as you say, that might not be an option.

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
H1 = one hydraulic lever H2= two levers
Thank you.... Oh I think I know the ruff idle you say? I had a 314 years ago. It would shake like a race car.... I still have two motor mounts from it. LOL
P1010149.jpg

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, thanks people.... I may be coming over to the Deere side, gotta think LOL..

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well, if you had a 314, you know exactly what a 316 will be like. You just get 1 more hydro spool, split brakes and 2 more hp.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I love my 316k. I do notice it does not have the power of my 318 but it's still capable of whatever I ask of it. It handles mowing duties on my hilly yard without issue, It also hauls, clears and likes grading too. The price does seem a little high but if it is clean and runs well its worth the money. Maybe you could get him down a bit.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JUSTINH595..... That's pretty sharp looking unit !! But now that I know the old 316 has single Kohler? Not like my friends 316 with twin Onan... I'm looking at one like his now. That Onan twin has a deep mellow sound, and LOTS of power on my friends I am using this weekend...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts