My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I couldn't resist. Saw an ad for a HR194 SXA today. Original owner purchased from the same dealer I got my first Honda. Went to look at it, and it was mechanically perfect. I don't think the PO ever washed it, but you could tell that it was stored inside and not abused. PO had a VERY small yard.

Sooo... I pulled the trigger. The HR194 is basically a HR215 on 19" aluminum deck! Has the same 5HP GVC140 motor, hydro gear drive three speed trans and blade brake. Really nice little mower! Got the owner's manual, original bill of sale and the service records! Serviced every year!

I need help! Will clean and post photos tomorrow.

Reactions: 1652

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Cant beat thease old honda's!! I am a proud owner of HRS21, HRA214, and My latest $15 (Bad tranny) Running HR214. Always looking for more! good choice on the mower. :fing32: and :wwp:

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,788 Posts
Amazing, serviced every year and still not satisfied. Probably spent over 1000 bucks in service alone..

Congrats!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing, serviced every year and still not satisfied. Probably spent over 1000 bucks in service alone..

Congrats!
Thanks. I'm surprised no one jumped on it before me! The asking price was low for a $700 early nineties top Honda model with annual service done. PO no longer wanted to cut the yard. Lawn service has been doing it for the last three years. Nice he kept taking it in to keep it in operating condition.

After checking the Honda site, I see that the HR195 is a Master Series mower. It is the little brother of the HR215 Master. I'm going to buy the mulching kit for it. My yard is small so it makes sense for the tight strips along the side of the house and garage.

I've been asked by the better half to stay out of the garage today. So no washy of the new Honda! So no photos. Have to wait until mañana.

Does anyone know how to ascertain the manufacture year from the serial number. I thought I saw something on Plano Power Equipment's site on this, but can't remember.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cant beat thease old honda's!! I am a proud owner of HRS21, HRA214, and My latest $15 (Bad tranny) Running HR214. Always looking for more! good choice on the mower. :fing32: and :wwp:
Well, got early and cleaned the HR195. Cleaned up better than I imagined!

Bag is filthy. Never understand why owners don't wash or blow thier bags out every once in while. This was never cleaned. Went after it with the hose, but will have to wait until it dries to see if I had any effect. The mess was completely clogged so the bag wasn't breathing.

The HR194/95 has some engineering quirks about the bag. If you want to change the fabric, you first have to remove the cap rivets on the plastic lid retainer. They are unusable after removal. That means if you want to wash the bag, you're out of luck. I'm going to the fastener store to see if I canget replacements.

Here are cleaned up photos:

Attachments

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Nice! I didn't know they made a 19" version of the Masters. Nice find, and boy did it clean up well! It should be a decent mulcher. My 21" is a better bagger than it is a mulcher, but it does both well. Does yours have the twin cut blades?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! I didn't know they made a 19" version of the Masters. Nice find, and boy did it clean up well! It should be a decent mulcher. My 21" is a better bagger than it is a mulcher, but it does both well. Does yours have the twin cut blades?
I having a hard time getting a straight answer about the blade(s). When you look the parts up, there are three different blade part numbers and one mulcher kit. The mulcher kit comes with a blade and the plug, but there is also a mulcher blade and two other blades.

I've ordered the mulcher kit. I would have believed that there would be a two-blade kit, but evidently there isn't. I need the kit, because I don't like to bag.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
My HR215 has the mulch kit, which consists of the plastic mulch plug, the twin blades, and the crankshaft support for the twin blades (basically a flat piece of bar steel). I keep the twin blades on all the time, even when bagging. The small clippings that it does leave behind when mulching (and it does leave some) are near small as dust, so I guess those twin blades ARE working.

Interesting, if yours works the same as mine, you want to go COUNTERclockwise if you mulch. It even shows that in the owner's manual. And indeed, if your grass is thick and it leaves a trail of clippings, it's on the left side of the mower. Odd, I know. For bagging, you go clockwise, like with a Lawn-Boy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My HR215 has the mulch kit, which consists of the plastic mulch plug, the twin blades, and the crankshaft support for the twin blades (basically a flat piece of bar steel). I keep the twin blades on all the time, even when bagging. The small clippings that it does leave behind when mulching (and it does leave some) are near small as dust, so I guess those twin blades ARE working.

Interesting, if yours works the same as mine, you want to go COUNTERclockwise if you mulch. It even shows that in the owner's manual. And indeed, if your grass is thick and it leaves a trail of clippings, it's on the left side of the mower. Odd, I know. For bagging, you go clockwise, like with a Lawn-Boy.
Well, interesting Jason. I would imagine if the HR215 has twin blades, then the HR195 would have twin blades as well. I will know in a few days. How much did your mulch kit cost?

The HR195 kit costs $40. I am familiar with the twin blade design from my HRM215SX. It leaves stragglers if you mow in the wrong direction!

The more I look at this HR195, the more I like it. I am selling my HRM215SXA after owning for 16 years! It's a tight fit in the strips on the side of the house and garage. I think the 19" will fit better there.

I will use the LB 10550 for the big areas!

Here's a photo of my HRM215SXA

Attachments

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I don't know how much the kit is; it came with the mower when I bought it. I've also got the leaf shredder for it, but don't use it that much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts