My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

My daily question to you Case riders. Can this tractor take a Case rototiller? Is it worth the asking price of $950?

Thanks again my MTF friends,
earth

---------------------owner description--------------- as follows

1979 case 220 tractor with mower, snowblower, dumptrailer.and with all operators manuals. will take trade for 20' camper no older then 1995 call 603-332-8533

Attachments

· Banned
1,634 Posts
Will accept a tiller, however, you`ll need the rear pto set-up as well as a sleeve hitch and probably wheel weights. All off those add up $ wise.

The asking price is in the ballbark if it runs out properly. JMO

· HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,358 Posts
Doesn't go into any detail about engine, caster, or mower deck condition. The pic is too grainy to see how nice the paint is, if the seat has tears, whether the headlight lenses are glazed, or if there is a holding valve. It's not uncommon for pre-1980 Cases to have fenders bent to **** from overzealous tiller usage and flailing tire chains... which cannot be confirmed or denied in the pics either. On the positive side, it looks to have hydraulic implement lift.

I can't say anything regarding values in Maine; But would I pay anywhere near that much for a nice 220 with hydro lift, cart, and caster in Pa... No.

Yes that tractor can accept a tiller. Case sold many 220's, and even some 210's with tillers and their 10hp Kohlers are more than capable of powering them.

· Registered
670 Posts

· Banned
1,500 Posts
It's a tough crowd on the forum some days.

If you break it down, the 38" snowcaster is worth $300.00 if it's in good, working condition. A Case dump cart in good shape is easily worth $150.00 so right off the bat, there's $450.00 in value. Any 220 with a decent deck, Hy-lift and a good, strong-running Kohler that does not blow smoke is worth $450.00 t0 $550.00 . Therefore, his asking price is not unreasonable providing there's nothing major that's wrong with any part of the package.

Good used tillers bring $450.00 on their own. You need a rear PTO valve so you can expect to fork out another $200.00 for one of them plus another $150.00 or more for the sleeve hitch. So, it's not just about the tractor but also about the $800.00 more plus shipping perhaps... to make any Case rototill a garden.

· Super Moderator
33,064 Posts
And that brings us to the point that I have seen quite a few good, to fair 44x tractors with PTO, and sometimes tillers in the 1500-2k range. Heck, I got my late 444 [granted...it was about 10 years ago.] with a working deck, and a tiller for $850. Needed a few small things... but nothing someone that can change his own oil cant do. I also got a working 224 with working deck, and splitter for less then that 220... So the deals are out there, if you keep a eye out. So I would be looking for something that already has the PTO on it, and maybe the hitch, and tiller. They are not that uncommon, and you will almost always save money buying them as a set.

1,358 Posts
Individual implement value is not applicable in group purchases. Whether the seller is intelligent enough to realize it or not, everything is being sold at a bulk-purchase discount.

· Banned
1,500 Posts
Individual implement value is not applicable in group purchases. Whether the seller is intelligent enough to realize it or not, everything is being sold at a bulk-purchase discount.
I disagree with the first statement but agree with the second.

If a Seller is offering a package deal, then it is worth LESS than the sum of the value that the items would bring individually. However, any Buyer looking at a package that he will make use of must take into consideration what those implements would cost him to buy on the open market if they were not with the tractor he is considering.

As an example, suppose this wasn't a package but was just a nice 220 with a deck and he paid $400.00 for it. However, the Buyer wants to be able to blow snow with it. He is now faced with the problem of finding a suitable snowcaster. If he gets lucky, he may find one locally but if that does not happen, then e-Bay is his other option. Shipping a snowcaster any distance can cost almost as much as the snowcaster itself. Even if you can go and pick it up yourself, it isn't hard to burn $50.00 or more in fuel round-trip.

Local demand will govern how much a snowcaster or dump cart will fetch. In some areas, the prices will be quite low compared to other areas. CM has a penchant to base his value assessments on what goes on in his own backyard but those prices are often far lower than what the same items will easily bring on e-Bay.

No one can say to a certainty that the package under discussion is worth X amount of money because none of us have seen it in person, heard it run and taken it for a test drive. All of those things can cause the valuation to swing in either direction. If the Seller and Buyer can find a middle-ground that both can be happy with, then that's what the value of the package is at that moment. Whether you get to come back here and brag about the steal of a deal you just made or not, is something else entirely. :fing32:

· Registered
416 Posts
If you've been looking for one and you think this is the one then buy it.
How much is your time worth?
I ask simply because people forget that their time is the most valuable item they have but they treat it likes it's worthless.....
So maybe you could get it for $800, maybe not. What's the magic number? What would you pay if there was a guy standing behind you waiting to hand him the asking price?

How much is it worth.....exactly what you are willing to pay for it.
I've let too many things go that I should have bought all for the sake of a freaking dollar or two. Not everything should come down to the money. How much do you want it? Will buying create hardship for you or your family?

Good luck.

1,358 Posts
How much is it worth.....exactly what you are willing to pay for it.
I've let too many things go that I should have bought all for the sake of a freaking dollar or two. Not everything should come down to the money. How much do you want it? Will buying create hardship for you or your family?

Good luck.
That's a nice theory, but most users of this forum, myself included, would say buying used tractors always boils down to "the money". If "the money" wasn't an issue, I'd have a fully restored 195, a Pennsylvania Panzer, a Speedex, and Km3h's 444 plus implements... for starters. Kicking yourself is part of the game.

You're squeezing him to make a decision when noone is sure whether he has gotten any details from the seller. The ad was cryptic to say the least. Would you buy anything without knowing what you're getting into? What you're wailing about over "a dollar or two" could end up costing him hundreds if he doesn't cover all his bases by asking the needed questions. If he isn't comfortable with this tractor he'll find another. The one he buys may be a better deal or worse; But hopefully it'll be something that he's comfortable buying.

· Registered
416 Posts
Classic...
Not that the point about time and money needs said on this forum but I've seen many a coffin and none of them had money pouches. I've just seen many people get their shorts in a knot over $100 or two never giving a second thought to how much they spend smoking, drinking, golfing, racing cars, sailing boats, bowling, vacations...over and over again.
I'm not speaking against any of these other activities....if that's what they want to do with their money but I don't let $100 redirect me much.

I've witnessed people making an issue over a bad hot water tank when they were buying a house?????? a $200,000 purchase is going to be swayed over an item costing less than $500???? Just doesn't make sense to me but I suppose many are just tightwads. Those are the ones that still leave the poor wattress a $1 and thinks they're doing her a favor.

Be fair in all your dealings. A win-win situation is the best kind, not one where somebody is bragging about how they just robbed somebody.

I'll get back to work now because I'm still one of those that pays a boat load of taxes so others can p$ss it away.

· Registered
5,105 Posts
Gotta agree with Randy for the most part. Time is money and spending a lot of time agonizing over a small percentage of the deal is usually not worth the effort - - providing the intended purchase is what you want and you can afford it.

It comes down to what the value is to the buyer, not what the seller is asking. If the buyer has educated themselves to the point that they know what is a reasonable price for them to pay then their ready to shop.

In this case the OP was apparently seeking more information to get ready to buy. He sure got it. And good information at that IMO.

Things vary a lot from area to area. Here that would be a good price for that equipment if it looked and ran well. Not what I would be looking for but it would probably sell within a few days of being posted. I doubt if you would find it for that price really, probably be a few hundred more.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.