1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I watched this video about a year ago after I was thinking about switching my saws over from Husqvarna to Stihl. I've used Husqvarna saws for years and have owned two ranchers. I ended up picking up two Stihl saws from a dealer (one of which was a Farm Boss). Husky makes good saws, but in my oppinion for just a little bit more, Stihl saws are the way to go. Less down time. A lot of parts for my husky saws aren't availbile anymore and the headache that I experienced with some of the local stores for finding standard to hard to find parts for my husky's was just absurd.

If you maintain a saw and keep up it clean, it'l treat you right. I've been using my Stihl saws(many hours) for over a year now and haven't had one problem. I prefer them and they're durable. I would recommend them over most of the husky's that are out now. Of course, that's just my oppinion but I'm pretty sure a few people would agree with me.

:goodl:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Basically, buy whatever sa you want, and don't continuously burry it in sawdust on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Hey I've ran both Husky and Stihl, someone wanted my Husky's more than I
and stole my 371XP and my 55 Rancher both had this air flow technology. I
replaced the 371XP with a Stihl 046 Magnum and an 028 WB both used. I've
never and I mean never seen a Stihl build up shavings like that around the
filter. I recently bought a MS180 and I don't get anything like that either.
Both brands are excellent saws but I've ran both quite a bit and I still prefer
the Stihl's. That video has been floating around for quite some time and I
guess it may be possible to force them in by completely shutting off the air
supply by blocking it with shavings then you might be able to replicate this
but in real world use it ain't happenin'. I wouldn't worry about it and get what
feels right in your hands.

BTW: Those shavings on the Husky almost had to go somewhere, where I don't
know.

PS: joemckna has a good point some of the Stihl saws have been made for
over a decade, just look at the 026/MS260. Husqvarna seems to change
models way more often, plus they're getting heavier instead of lighter. Got
Dolmar dealer around, go look at the 5100S they say it's a screamer. Stay
away from outboard clutch Husky' for sure, too hard to change the chain.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Totally agree with you. They are getting heavier and to be honest, their doesnt seem to be anything special with regards to any of the newer husky's. The only constant I've noticed with the "out of the box" husky's is the down time.

None of my Stihls have ever clogged up like that and in the "real world" of cutting, you're rarely going to be in situation like that. If you are, just pop the cover and clean the saw dust out. I try to scrape the crap out(dust and oil) when I pop the cover after every couple of uses depending on how dirty the job is. Check your air cleaner often.

I was told by someone that husky might be going the same route as Stihl, dealer only etc... I bought a new Husky a year ago from Lowes and took it back the next day after I was told that the chains for the saw were on back order for a month! They didn't sell out, they just didn't have them because Husky hadn't sent them out yet! I looked on-line and no chains availible for this brand new saw! I also noticed that this saw was missing pieces and had the wrong nuts on the cover. Just an absolute headache to deal with the out of the box stores like Lowes. I took it back and drove right down to the street to the Stihl dealer.

I needed a new muffler for my husky rancher(about 6 years old) and could not find one anywhere on-line. I ended up finding one in the UK through the grapevine. To simply service my husky and replace the muffler assembley, I had to order from 5 different websites that had old stock parts. All of the sites were over seas, none in the US. Unbelievable!!!

The Stihl dealers were much easier work with and I was guranteed that parts would always be availible for the saws that I had. I know the owner of a large tree cutting business and he swears by Stihl. It's just easier. I'm not knocking on the husky'(had two for almost 8 years) but I have yet to have a problem with any of my Stihls and it's been almost two years.

PS: joemckna has a good point some of the Stihl saws have been made for
over a decade, just look at the 026/MS260. Husqvarna seems to change
models way more often, plus they're getting heavier instead of lighter. Got
Dolmar dealer around, go look at the 5100S they say it's a screamer. Stay
away from outboard clutch Husky' for sure, too hard to change the chain.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Stihl it is...

THe Farm Boss is more saw than I need, but how do you pass it is when the Wood Boss, more to what I need, is smaller and more expensive!

Thanks for the input! :congrats:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Proves absolutely nothing except that the Stihl air filter does exactly what it's designed to do. Does anyone on this forum really run their saw until the filter looks like that Stihl? If you do... well never mind, you'll be back at the shop soon anyway working on all your other prematurely failing equipment.

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good reason to buy an echo.
I have to admit the Stihl dealer network is unreal... One of the reasons I'm looking Stihl. Other reasons: Family Owned Co, No Big Box distribution.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The 290 is almost 3 pound heavier, and for that extra weight, you only get an extra .4hp.

The 270 also has a long slender body and feels must better on hand then the 290. With the 290, the air filter cover/saw body is too tall and my trigger hand doesn’t feel right on the handle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 290 is almost 3 pound heavier, and for that extra weight, you only get an extra .4hp.

The 270 also has a long slender body and feels must better on hand then the 290. With the 290, the air filter cover/saw body is too tall and my trigger hand doesn’t feel right on the handle.

:thanku:

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I used to rent the MS 270 CQS when I had my tool rental business. (Was also a Stihl dealer). That saw was bulletproof, as well as having two chain brakes and no-tool chain adjustment. To help make your decision, look in the Yellow Pages under "saws", and see how many Husky and Echo dealers you find.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I used to rent the MS 270 CQS when I had my tool rental business. (Was also a Stihl dealer). That saw was bulletproof, as well as having two chain brakes and no-tool chain adjustment. To help make your decision, look in the Yellow Pages under "saws", and see how many Husky and Echo dealers you find.
That's good to hear because the 270 and 280 is a fairly radical design over the
other models. I kind of wondering how they holding up.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I love my Husky 450 but the guys working at the dealer could use a little customer service training. I bought my saw there thinking that I would have a much better experience buying from a dealer but it probably would have been about the same if I bought it at Lowes. These guys know their stuff but offer no advise and seem like they probably rather not talk to you all together. Pretty much slap whatever it is that you need on the counter and ask how you want to pay. I'm not looking for a hug but at least they shoot the bull a little or when I attempt to start a conversation at least humor me by saying somethng or more than one word like "yup". They also sell Echo, Cub Cadet and Polaris.

My John Deere dealer on the other hand is very friendly from the service techs, people behind the counter and the salesmen. Of course I spent a lot more money there. The sell Stihl there so the next time I need to buy a saw I might have to make the switch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the guys working at the dealer could use a little customer service training.
If dealers would only realize that guy on the counter is the "face" of their business for most of us. I stopped by my local Deere dealer recently and the Parts Mgr, a long time friend, was out. The guy who tried to help me was such a knob if I didn't know better I would never go back. With many people you only get one chance!!

I never realized "Hello" and "Thanks" were so hard to utter....

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Depending on how much you'll be using the saw and for what, when you go into the store make sure you pick it up, hold it above your waste, bend over a little bit and then hold it below your waste. This is just to get a good feel as to how much weight you'll be lifting up and down when you're doing a job. If you need for light to medium duty use, you don't have to buy the badest, heaviest SOB in the store "just in case". Get something that fits your needs and talk to the sales person about it. In my oppinion, the "feel" of a Stihl is much different then a Husky. I'm sure you'll like it. It's powerful saw and they're built nice!

I've owned Echo's, McClaugh, Poulan's and Homelite's. I hate to say it, but they're just inferior saws, even for the average home owner. If you're going to invest in something, do it right the first time. It'll save you many of the headaches I've had along the way :duh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts