My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
21,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting our kids an I-Pad for Christmas. Of course there are several different models and capacities. We are probably going to lean towards the entry level model, 16 GB for $499. They also advertise one with "3G". What's that? Is it something that is needed to use the unit mobile?

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
3g is for the wireless. I think the 3g refers to getting the internet option, If they have wireless at their house, and it is most everywhere nowadays, they can get a signal for free.

My wife has an I-pad, its wicked nice, big enough to actually use the keyboard. battery lasts for literally days. she doesn't put the thing down. :fing32:. its small enough to take with you and big enough to be able to actually see the screen, unlike (imo) an iphone or bb - my eyes are too bad to watch a 3" movie screen and see all the detail. The ipad is just about the perfect size.

as for disk size:
i would not be afraid to get one with the lower disk space - thats for storage of music/videos, the ipads are more a tablet pc than a music player so the kids would use it more like a little computer. most of their videos, they can watch on line vs. storing it on the ipad.

that is a gret gift brad, i dont see how anyone would not love one of those things. From what little i have seen of it (yup, she hardly ever lets me use it :ROF)

Honestly, I think that the ipad was one of the best new electronic devices i have ever seen - seriously.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
what about web surfing? How "smooth" is it? That's always been my biggest gripe with tablet PCs (input recognization). I've got an older HP TC1100 and it's starting to show its age...

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The 3G is only used on cellular networks. WiFi gives you the capability to connect to your home wireless network or to a hotspot.

I would imagine, like my Droid, the IPad will use a WiFi connection if it is available over the 3G connection.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,975 Posts
what about web surfing? How "smooth" is it? That's always been my biggest gripe with tablet PCs (input recognization). I've got an older HP TC1100 and it's starting to show its age...
The virtual keyboard is a heck of a lot easier to use than, say, the iPod touch I am using to type this right now... Is THAT what you are wondering about, GC. Even so, I'm getting pretty good with this dinky keyboard.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The virtual keyboard is a heck of a lot easier to use than, say, the iPod touch I am using to type this right now... Is THAT what you are wondering about, GC. Even so, I'm getting pretty good with this dinky keyboard.
Where I switched phones a while back to the Samsung Omnia II it uses "swype" and it's actually pretty fast and accurate. I just hate on my tablet lifting the stylus for each letter on a URL s..l..o..w........... And that's all you can use too (stylus) no fingers.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
smooth as can be. The few times ive gotten to use the ipad, its great.

·
Registered
700 Posts
They are really fast. same processor as in the iPhone 4. I was told by a tech in the store that the next software version will have print capability. just waiting for that before I get one for my wife.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts