My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last post I mentioned that all tags were gone from this (suppose to be M20 engine) and every one I look at for parts has a removeable cyl.s this does not so its old and may be hard to find parts but is there a cross referance for it ? ED

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I don't recall seeing your original post or any pictures but if it's old these folks may be able to help. Lot's of old engine information.

http://www.asecc.com/

Mike

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Pictures would really help ALOT.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I looked through all of his old posts and the only twin he had pictures of was an Onan. I believe the jugs don't come off an Onan but could be wrong on that. Roger

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
pictures would help. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words.

They are. Trust me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only one pic came out guess I was shivering too much cold as u=no

will try more after shop warms up notice carb. ED

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
That's a Briggs!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Look at the heads.. There should be a number cast into a raised pump by the find somewhere EG:48 or something to tell how many CI it is.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I would agree it is a Briggs twin that was available in a bunch of HP size from roughly 14 to a bit over 20 HP. The model numbers would have been stamped into the sheet metal/tins that covered the flywheel cylinders. Roger

·
Registered
348 Posts
yep briggs and stratton no doubt, the heads will say what the motor should be...granted if somebody hasnt changed them...they should say 40-1, 40-2 or 42-1, 42-2. it will be at the lower bottom on the head stamped in the flat spot. 40 is the 16hp and 42 is the 18hp....i can tell you its not a 20hp briggs never made one in a horizontal and if they did they never mentioned it in any manuals and I have never seen one. (cough cough unless you build one cough cough) the rods will be marked also in the same fashion as the heads minus the 1 or 2 saying which cylinder they go to, but you have to open up the motor.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boy I hope your right was told it was a 20 Kohler ans parts are $$$$ need to get out to shop but burn ban in effect and no ther heat and its COLD!! dont have time to dsay unless I do a quicky n and out thanks gfuys will let you know ED BTW no stamping of anykind on tins

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys are good it has 42-1 on the head now to find a model is another question as stated no stamping of any kind ED

·
Registered
348 Posts
the numbers will be on the heat shroud for the head on the number 2 cylinder. it will be stamped on it to the left of the spark plug hole...you will probably have to clean off some crud to read it If there is no stamping I could just give you some numbers off one of my motors they are all pretty much the same engine except the carb, manifold and intake linkages are different. there are going to be some people who will argue with this idea but trust me it will work. Unless the motor is a 16hp that somebody put 18hp heads on. I have gotten alot of them like that for some reason. You can P.M. me if you want

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankyou Tater I'll try and get out there today and check the tins I have im thinking I didnt get them all , I do know there werent any to cover the heads I m hopeing you are refering to the cyl shrouds at the front ED

·
Registered
348 Posts
If the ones covering the heads are gone then that was were the numbers would be, if that is the case what parts are you looking for? if you are looking for new rods then you will have to open the motor up by pulling the oil pan off or the back sump cover to make sure the motor is really a 18hp, the oil pan is the easiest cause you dont have to mess with the bearing, governor gear, and the cam when you pull the back cover off. Let me know what you find out

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was sent from Tenn in 2 boxs ,realy basket case, as of now I know I need a lifter not sure whar else ,cam out as well as govenor if this burn ban ever lifts so I can start up the stove I'll pull a rod and take measurements on cyl the pistons I know I will need a gasket set and seals thats why I needed the model no. thanks agin ED

·
Registered
348 Posts
you dont have to pull the rods, this is why I love briggs they marked there rods so you know what the motor is just look at a rod it will be marked on one side with a 40 or 42 the 40 is the 16hp and the 42 is the 18hp. If you measure cyl. and pistons it will get you know were they are both the same for the 16hp and the 18hp the only difference between the two are the stroke, the cyl. size are the same. you have to look at the rods like I said. Unless you are measuring the bore for wear then you have too but other wise the rods will tell you what the motor truly is.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thankyou Tater I plan on doing a complete rebuild as soon as i get get it Id-ed so I can start ordering parts fist is set of gaskets and seals then go from there, little at a time ED

1 - 19 of 19 Posts