My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I dug my Toro 24” or so 2 stroke single stage out of the barn. I installed a new scraper blade and new paddles a couple years back, but only used it 1/2 a time before the scraper blade broke again. The housing was so worn down it just wouldn’t hold the bar right, so it broke immediately. For blade #2, I doubled over and added metal reinforcements. I didn’t use it after that.
The primer bulb is missing, but I remembered it starting easily. Put in fresh gas (I drained it last time I attempted to use it), and yanked the rope a few times. Got tired of that after about 10 pulls, and noticed it has a plug and a push button for electric start. Decided to see if it works, and was pleasantly surprised. Fired right up! Running good. Hopefully my reinforcements will work. Can’t get real close to house and garage with 84” 3pt blower on L4610 Kubota.

Then I mounted the big blower on the Kubota. Nice and easy as it should be.
Oiled the chain, greased the drive shaft, good to go, right? Decided to check gearbox oil. Probably should have done that last year when I bought it, but took the seller’s word for it that it was all gone through. Nope. Took a full quart of 80-90 gear lube. I probably ran it for 10 hours last year with no oil in it :( . It’s still quiet and tight, but it still makes me nervous. I wonder how long it ran like that before I got it... I hope they aren’t pricey and are easy to find if it grenades on me.

I had them parked next to each other and it made for an interesting size comparison.

And now got them up in the “unheated” side of the garage for the winter. Hopefully it doesn’t leak oil all over. Tractor decided to leak some oil out of the little button valve plug thing in front of the trans; no clue yet as to why. It only leaks when running, and this is the first it’s done it. Maybe it’ll stop by itself? If not I might be splitting the tractor to look at the rear seal.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Snow buddies! :) It had to be nice when you realized that the little one had electric start. Maybe the seal on the Kubby will reseal itself once you start using it. It wouldn't be any fun having to split it in the middle of winter.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll keep an eye on it this winter. At the rate it leaks, it won't hardly make it much below the full mark. It's weird because I ran it a couple weeks ago and it was fine. Maybe a fluke.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't really work the tractor today. Just used it to lazily transport my grill from the barn where it's been sleeping for a year and a half up to the new house. I looked in the driveway where I had it idling for maybe 10-15 minutes after it was good and warmed up when I had hauled what I needed to haul, and I didn't see any drips on the cement where it was running. Maybe it did work itself out?

On another note, I changed the oil about 6-8 running hours ago. I'm happy to say the oil that dripped out last week still looked like brand new. Normally on an 800 hour diesel it would be getting a little dis colored. Guess it's a good sign the engine is still tight?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts