My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work today, I had to go to a dealership to pick up a car. I went inside, not knowing what I was bringing back. The salesman handed me the keys, and as i'm waking out, I look down at the tag attached to the keychain. The tag read "2003 Nissan 350Z". Lost in a sea of cars, as I walk through the parking lot, I am hitting the trunk button.

After a few tries, the trunk lid suddenly pops open on a silver 350Z. I shut the trunk, then wiggle my way into the little car. After fastening my seatbelt, I turn the key, and the little V6 comes to life.

I make my way out of the parking lot, and onto the main road. From there, I have about a mile or so before I get onto the freeway. As I get in the left hand turn lane to enter the freeway, the light turns yellow. I come to a stop, first in line, waiting for a green arrow. No, we do not trash or rag on the cars, but like when going from a standstill onto a 65 MPH highway, we might drive 'em a little more agressively than many do. Nothing the salesman don't do themselves. The light turns green, and I go left. Its a pretty sharp turn, then goes gradually to the right where it merges with the freeway. I was almost out of the left handed turn when I put the coals to it. It squats down, takes off, and suddenly the back end breaks loose to the right. I let off, steer into it, straighten it up, and hit it again. Im looking over my left shoulder to merge, and find myself in one of those situations where I can either slow down to yield, or speed up to beat them to the merge lane. I choose the latter, and get on the freeway before the couple of cars. I look down at the speedo, and it is sitting right on 80 MPH. I immediately backed it back down to 70, but it felt like I was doing 50 MPH.

I was left shaking somewhat, and didn't even have time to think of it breaking loose really. It all happened so fast, and as I looked back on it, it kinda scared me. Not scared of the car, but more afraid of explaining a 350Z that was put into a guardrail to my boss. For any that know me know I am not much into imports, but this thing is awesome, and deserves a little respect. I just looked them up, and no wonder it is a rocket. 287 HP, and 0-60 MPH in 5.3 seconds. For a 3.5 liter V6, this thing rocks. A couple website compares it to another little car which is German made, and called a Boxster, and says "All the performance for 1/3 the price".

I just had to come clean and give credit where credit is due. I now have a little more respect for the imports, and if I had to own one, it just might be my choice. I babied it back to the shop, and got out with an ear to ear grin on my face.

Heres a pic of one, although the orangeish color is ugly I think.

Greg

Attachments

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
It maybe fast but i just don't like the looks. I like the 70's 240Z, 260Z and the late 70's early 80's 280Z. They have a much better look to them IMO :D

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
jodyand said:
It maybe fast but i just don't like the looks. I like the 70's 240Z, 260Z and the late 70's early 80's 280Z. They have a much better look to them IMO :D
:ditto:

Durwood

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda like the looks. The roofline reminds me of my old Mach 1, and looking out the back window, the window seems about 6" tall. A guy my sister dated a long time ago (maybe 1984 or so) had what I think was a 280 ZX. It was the first car I seen with a digital speedometer, and also had a traction control light that would light up when the car was breaking traction. And seemingly cool at the time, he would try to make the light come on. Pretty gimmicky though, as in my situation today, I would have never seen an idiot light on the dash, and by then it would be too late anyway.

Greg

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the looks of the 240's also, but they were infamous for rusting ouy big time. When I was in vocational school, there was a kid that had one, and after out instructer looked at it up on the rack, he made him take it down and would not let him put it on the lift again. He said it was a safety hazard. LOL

Its just amazing to me the power they are getting from much smaller engines these days. I remember back in the mid eighties, the Mustang GT (V8 of course) went from 210 to 225 HP. I thought that was awesome. Now, 287 HP from a 3.5 liter V6? The 350Z is smooth and quick. In fact, in some ways, its a let-down, as you dont get that "sit you back in the seat" type acceleration. But thats when just watching the speedometer is enough fun. The 350Z roadster has to be sweet, although I've yet to see one in person.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts